• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV5600 PTO cover

FeelerI know there are aftermarket coolers that bolt on in place of the NV5600 PTO cover. I'm thinking of fabricating an inexpensive/affordable alternative replacement cover, not for added cooling but more for you guys who are not as concerned about cooling but more interested in just simple mods such npt ports for temp sensor, fill and drain with a magnet. Seems silly to pull the shifter for overfilling & pulling the PTO cover to drain. Why not a just a few simple npt ports. A couple of questions:Anyone have a spare PTO cover or 2 laying around? Looking for a few covers for prototype template fabrication/testing.Most guys are overfilling the NV5600. How many quarts? And about where does that put the oil level on the PTO cover? Just so I know where to put the npt bung for the fill, or if it needs to be extended higher.Thanks

I like the idea. I recently changed the oil in my NV5600. My plan was to fill the transmission from the top bolt on the PTO cover, however, I couldn't see how I was going to fill it without spilling oil everywhere so I opted to pull the shifter. I overfilled my transmission with an extra quart and I would be very interested to see what you come up with.Good luck!!

It actually drains pretty easy just pulling the bottom bolt on the pto cover and let it drain thru the hole. I run one extra quart in mine. I just park my truck parallel to the drainage swale at the road, passanger side down and fill it thru the filler hole. Not a bad idea with the pto covers though.

Yea, I was thinking about that. Figured I'd make the drain hole at least 1/2" or 3/4 npt depending on where I can source a decent magnetic plug. Quick drain and magnet plug to grab any ferrous metal slivers or pieces to exam for either normal wear or more alarming damages.

You can also overfill the NV5600 by pumping the oil into the hole where the back-up light (reverse) switch threads into. It's high enough that it will take the extra qt and it's easier then pulling the shifter out if you are just adding 1-2 qts. If you are doing 8, the shifter may be easier. I have FAST Coolers and drain through the temp sender that way I don't have to worry about resealing the bolt threads. With the coolers I fill to 8.5 qts.