• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re tranny servicing

I always pull the front cooler line off the tranny and use an air nozzle and blow the cooler circuit out and then put a small amount of air psi in the tranny cooler port fitting that the cooler line unhooks from and hold the pressure on it for several minutes, this pushes the oil back out of the converter.I have always gotten exactly 3 gallons out of both my 47re and my 48 re using this method for 10 years with no issues.

So what you do is pull the 2 lines going to cooler from the tranny and blow those off ,then you blow air in the fittings on the tranny ,does it matter which hose or fitting you blow in?I picked up somewhere that there's a check valve in the cooler lines to prevent the TC from draining when the truck is sitting for a few days.

The only line to take off is the front one, then blow through the line and it pushes all the oil out of the cooler system and it drains into the case, then blow into the fitting on the tranny to drain the converter, this you just put a bit of pressure in at a time and hold the pressure on it as you are pushing the oil back through the pump and it takes a few minutes, do not put a lot of pressure on this just enough for the oil to flow back.The front cooler line is the hot oil line leaving the converter, the back flow check valve is in this line and opens with the flow going towards the cooler, if you tried to blow through the back line which is the return line it would not allow flow as that is against the check ball.

• 2 weeks later...

the steal line beside the adjustment screw is this the line to blow the oil out of the coolers

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible to check for wear on the bands,are they easy to replace?

- - - Updated - - -

where is the location of the check valve to prevent the torq convertor from draining when sitting for a long time?

Can somebody help me on the question on the last thread please

Replacing the bands means dropping the tranny...aka a rebuild if $ permits. The adjustment screw will also dictate the condition of the bands. If the band is worn front band screw will thread deeper into the case
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...