• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How About This For Doing A Swap?!

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/4267308482.html

NV4500 5spd from a 1995 Cummins Dodge. 4x4 version. It will need 5th gear and the counter gear replaced. Has a bellhousing and a flywheel and low miles OEM style clutch in good shape. Also comes with the engine block to bellhousing adapter and hydraulic slave cylinder and line. Just needs a shifter handle and the 5th gear replaced.

$1000 cash for all listed together or will sell piece by piece if transmission itself sells first.

$550 for transmission core
$250 bellhousing
$175 newer clutch/flywheel
$175 adapter plate
$75 hydraulic slave and line

What else would be needed to complete it? Would this work in my rig? Is it a good deal?

Edited by hex0rz

It would be a lot less work. actually it would be cheaper to go with vb /conv as I see he has an OEM clutch and a bad main shaft nut so with the cost of parts and a new clutch you would be better off sticking with what you have.

Edited by Wild and Free

Eh, it was just a thought, lol...

I was starting to kick the idea around more and more as I was reading up on it and how great and easy of a conversion it was to do compared to the benefits.

I've got a good VB and TC, so I suppose next on my list will be a billet flexplate, input shaft and the GM parts.

Edited by hex0rz

I know I will catch alot of flack from the 5 speed guys, but I don't think it makes sense money wise to do a conversion from an auto to a 5 speed. The gear ratios are similar to the automatics and you won't be gaining enough efficiency IMO to make a difference especially in the situation for you where you are towing at max gvw. You got to remember they discontinued the 5 speeds 12 years ago in favor of an extra gear.

Easier and cheaper to do a gear swap if needed. :2cents:

On the differentials, you mean?

I know I will catch alot of flack from the 5 speed guys, but I don't think it makes sense money wise to do a conversion from an auto to a 5 speed. The gear ratios are similar to the automatics and you won't be gaining enough efficiency IMO to make a difference especially in the situation for you where you are towing at max gvw. You got to remember they discontinued the 5 speeds 12 years ago in favor of an extra gear.

I've read a little bit about how more people think the nv5600 are more inferior than the nv4500. I was looking at doing the swap because I like manuals more than automatics as I get to control the powerband. Not to mention the simplicity of an exhaust brake on a MT than an AT. As well, I can and will be getting an aux cooler for the AT, but I do not like the overheat capability of the AT. The only thing I would really have to worry about in the MT is the clutch slipping.

Edited by hex0rz

Yep diff gears.

If you pull hard in 5th or 6th you can overheat a manual tranny easier than an auto tranny, believe me I have seen this many times working at a gear shop and installed many tranny temp gauges in manuals and had owners come back wide eyed at how hot they get. I have seen multiple input shafts literally melted off and or welded solid to the bearing and spin in the case ruining the entire tranny, I have seen the input gears with the teeth melted off as well as the OD gears.

I assume you mean the 5600 are superior...

In your case of running at max gvw 5th gear would be essentially useless most of the time (as is OD in the 47re). Now the difference between a slush box and a standard is an automatic with a good torque convertor will afford you a little leeway where your stuck in a particular gear with a standard... with a 5 speed you could find yourself in 3rd gear on a steep grade on the highway....no real advantage over a good auto IMO.thats where having an extra gear really helps in a standard.

Standard transmissions need oil coolers every bit as much as an automatic does, it's standard equipment even in OEM form in anything recent.

Yep diff gears.

If you pull hard in 5th or 6th you can overheat a manual tranny easier than an auto tranny, believe me I have seen this many times working at a gear shop and installed many tranny temp gauges in manuals and had owners come back wide eyed at how hot they get. I have seen multiple input shafts literally melted off and or welded solid to the bearing and spin in the case ruining the entire tranny, I have seen the input gears with the teeth melted off as well as the OD gears.

:wow:  Wow! See, I somehow bring out the rarer things in people. Your the first person I have heard say that... I still 'am eyeing the diff gears, btw...

I assume you mean the 5600 are superior...

In your case of running at max gvw 5th gear would be essentially useless most of the time (as is OD in the 47re). Now the difference between a slush box and a standard is an automatic with a good torque convertor will afford you a little leeway where your stuck in a particular gear with a standard... with a 5 speed you could find yourself in 3rd gear on a steep grade on the highway....no real advantage over a good auto IMO.thats where having an extra gear really helps in a standard.

Standard transmissions need oil coolers every bit as much as an automatic does, it's standard equipment even in OEM form in anything recent.

Nope, they are saying the nv4500 is better...

Do the 2nd gens with MT have coolers?

I've only ran one grade with the 5th wheel that made me really wonder if I was going to make it to the top! It was at the George in Wa and I tried to keep the truck from unlocking but the EGT's were getting too high and then it unlocked because I was letting off the accel to slow down. But by lowering a gear in doing so, my EGT's went down, but with it unlocked, I started watching the trans. temp climb. I was able to keep the EGT's around 1000-1100 and the trans temp. at 200 degrees. I was doing about 45 up the grade which was alot faster then the 18 wheelers I was passing. They were probably doing 25-30 up the grade. Needless to say, it was something that caught me off guard! If I would have know that it was going to be what it was, I would have probably put it in a 4-lo and crept as fast as I could up that grade!

I personally love the 6 speed. The extra gear is very nice when towing heavy in the mountains or any hilly terrain especially on secondary highways. The NV5600 biggest draw back to me is the cost. and the fact they are not made anymore. I bought one from a junk yard supposedly with 52k. $2500 delivered. Still felt that was better that the rebuilds I was looking at and  I still have a core that will probably get rebuilt in the near future. A good 5600 rebuild is $3000 unless you have broken parts. I believe the 4500 is around $1500. The 4500 is more user friendly for repairs than the 5600.

Mine came with no cooler but I recently added Fass coolers and a temp gauge. I dont know of any that came with coolers from the factory.