• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Pressure Help

So same as above, on the way to work....ding-check gauge msg - no oil pressure. Checked it with a mechanical and suspect bad sensor. Been reading and appears old style used a transducer, then they went to a switch which was only on or off but gave a gauge reading to make you feel warm and fuzzy....I think it depends which switch you have installed. Just like dodge did with the alternator (why they had to be a unique snow flake ??) the switch/transducer goes through ECU......ecu feeds gauge

My question-----does the ISX use a switch or a transducer......see them on ebay for like $30....3 pin plug....will it work on a 24v?

Matt

• 1 month later...

Mike, I saw your video where you disconnect the coolant temperature and the oil pressure dips and I believe I see what is happening. As you no doubt know the PCM is  the  communications master for the ECM, timer module, ABS, and Instrument cluster via serial communications and is very taxed for processing power being it was a 1998 design.  In 1998.5 Dodge had numerous re-flashes because lack of timely communication servicing between computers causing the instrument cluster (mostly serial communication rather than individual wiring) to go to zero indication and sound alarm. All works good now for no faults on the I/O but even a single bad input can send the software into a fault handling subroutine that slows the scanning cycle and cause the symptoms you see on the oil gauge. They even have a dealer notification  telling the owners the +-50 RPM fluctuation on the tach is due to this problem of "not updating in a timely fashion". I think the oil gauge is fairly accurate as long as there is no outstanding  I/O faults. I think Dodge even used a simple on/off switch (rather than analog voltage)  to make the oil gauge read 60% in a future model year so owners would not complain so much but owners were just not that dumb. 

When I first got my 2000 CTD the auto transmission drove me crazy in the city locking and unlocking the torque converter so I put in a dash switch to interrupt the TC lockup solenoid coil and drive unlocked in the city all the time. To my surprise I set a code in  the transmission causing "limp mode"  where it went second  gear with full hydraulic pressure (harsh). I was surprised that it sensed the open circuit and went limp mode  since  my 1997 had this work okay with the simple switch.  With the 2000 I had use a relay to switch in a resistor that looked like the coil impedance and sort of fool the computer digital output current checking.  The bottom line is there are many many ways to set a code in this setup that can be difficult to track never mind spawning spurious computer glitches that appear to affect the instrument cluster. Must drive dealer mechanics nuts.

Edited by balsip