• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ecm Swap Questions

Got some questions about swapping an ECM. I am having issues with my WTS light and no pump prime at key on or bump start. All grounds and fuse's have been checked.

Can a smarty reprogram the replacement ECM or does a dealer have to do it? Will any ECM work from a 1998.5-2002? I have heard the 01-02 wont work on a 1998-2000 because of the crank/cam sensor difference?

Dose it matter if the replacement ECM is from a automatic or manual transmission? Some say it will work, some say they wont program?

On the back of ECM's there are part numbers, serial numbers, and some other series of numbers that aren't labeled. Should I try to match a particular number on the ECM's?

Lastly, anything special that should be done when swapping the ECM's?

The local dealer can get a reman ECM for $729 plus 1/HR labor for reprogramming which is $110. Comes with 1yr 12,000 miles warranty. Reasonable?

Thanks,

Kyle

• Owner

Got some questions about swapping an ECM. I am having issues with my WTS light and no pump prime at key on or bump start. All grounds and fuse's have been checked.

Can a smarty reprogram the replacement ECM or does a dealer have to do it? Will any ECM work from a 1998.5-2002? I have heard the 01-02 wont work on a 1998-2000 because of the crank/cam sensor difference?

Dose it matter if the replacement ECM is from a automatic or manual transmission? Some say it will work, some say they wont program?

On the back of ECM's there are part numbers, serial numbers, and some other series of numbers that aren't labeled. Should I try to match a particular number on the ECM's?

Lastly, anything special that should be done when swapping the ECM's?

The local dealer can get a reman ECM for $729 plus 1/HR labor for reprogramming which is $110. Comes with 1yr 12,000 miles warranty. Reasonable?

Thanks,

Kyle

First off the only ground for the PCM, ECM and VP44 is the battery cable itself there is no body grounds for them.

Second off check your alternator AC noise voltage. This is about 90% of the reason why ECM and VP44 die. Using a good DVM and testing at the back of the alternator you should see less than 0.1 Volts AC. Anything over 0.1 AC volts is a fail.

As far as what I know all ECM will work but all of them must be programmed for your truck before use being there is roughly 50 different versions of software out there. So your going to be stuck with Dodge Dealer with a DRBIII tool. I've never heard of a Smarty being able to completely reflash a ECM.

Dealer price isn't bad at all and with a warranty is even better yet.

First off the only ground for the PCM, ECM and VP44 is the battery cable itself there is no body grounds for them.

Second off check your alternator AC noise voltage. This is about 90% of the reason why ECM and VP44 die. Using a good DVM and testing at the back of the alternator you should see less than 0.1 Volts AC. Anything over 0.1 AC volts is a fail.

Dealer price isn't bad at all and with a warranty is even better yet.

I thought there was a ground for the ECM behind the starter?

I did do the A/C check and was present. Replaced alternator and no longer have any A/C. I believe the pervious alternator fried the ECM before I knew about it.

I didn't think the dealer price was that bad either.

Thanks,

Kyle

That price is half of what I was quoted a while back when mine fried. Makes me wonder if they might be quoting a PCM instead of the ECM.

The ECM just bolts to the side of the block with no separate ground wire.

After I heard the price, I made it very clear I needed the ECM and not PCM.

I was a bit surprised at the price also.

Thanks,

Kyle

• Owner

I thought there was a ground for the ECM behind the starter?

I did do the A/C check and was present. Replaced alternator and no longer have any A/C. I believe the pervious alternator fried the ECM before I knew about it.

I didn't think the dealer price was that bad either.

Thanks,

Kyle

Ground behind the starter is the fuel heater and lift pump not the ECM.

Double check AC voltage and be sure before installing the new ECM.

Has anybody ever ordered parts from dodgeparts.com?

They show them for $508

Thanks,

Kyle

I did a search there for a 99 ECM and while 21 items popped up under ECM, the description says module-powertrain control. That = PCM. Do you have a link for it?

I did a search there for a 99 ECM and while 21 items popped up under ECM, the description says module-powertrain control. That = PCM. Do you have a link for it?

https://www.partswebsite.com/dodgeparts/?i=2&make=120&model=600&year=1999&type=parts&act=new_subcategory_hp&section=3&catid=10046&subcatid=20111&fl_id=41

Yes I found it under the powertrain control, but it shows ECM's down the page a little bit.

Look at it and let me know what you think, I may be seeing it wrong.

Thanks,

Kyle

You might also check out dodgepcmdirect.com

They sell a PCM for $395 and a ECM for $895 both with lifetime warranty. They come already programmed to your vin,

I have no problem going to a dealer, but if they no longer sell NEW only reman also, what the difference between buying from them and another company, especially if I can get it at a lower price and better warranty.

Thanks,

Kyle

Is this the one you are looking at?https://www.partswebsite.com/dodgeparts/?i=6#bottom It does say ECM on that page. The previous page says powertrain control. I would talk to them before I bought it. Ask them where it installs. Engine block or firewall. If they say firewall it not what you are looking for. I would also want to know who rebuilt it. I had a very bad experience with the rebuild route. Others have fared better.