• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Load Rating 14" Tires

These are the highest load rating 14" tires I've been able to find and at a good price. $100 with free shipping. These are load D and 65 psi tires. 8 ply. There are only a handful of load range D tires out here and I feel a reasonable cost. I was thinking about going to a 15" wheel to get more options, but these fit my needs. 15" wheels turns out won't work for me. Not enough space between axles to allow for larger wheels. Especially if you needed to use chains for snow.

• Owner

Well first off what is the GVWR rating of the trailer? Then what is the current weight of the trailer? Do the tire meet or exceed the weight of the trailer GVWR? Then look at speed how fast are you planing on traveling with the trailer in tow? What is the speed rating of the tires? All these question will make or break the performance of a ST tire on a trailer.

GVW is 7k. I need to find a scale for actual weight of trailer/truck, etc. But I can tell you that the current tires (max inflation 45psi) roll really bad when making hard turns and they are 4 ply. Rolling under makes me nervous when on gravel, as sidewall I've got to believe are not very puncture resistant. I do a lot of off pavement travel. My elk hunting spot is 20 miles from hardball. The web site doesn't state anything but "excellent stability at hiway speeds." I wrote an e mail to inquire about speed rating.

My current tires are from 1998 (original). Guy I bought it from his wife died shortly after he purchased it new and he never used it since. Original paperwork for purchase in trailer. Paid $15,000 for it. I bought it a couple years ago for $500. I never get these kind of deals so I was pleased with myself. Point is that the existing tires have 80% tread, but are 16 years old. I'm going to put the tires on my local use utility trailer when I get new ones for the travel trailer. I have a guy that will do it even though it may be against federal regulations. Heard that after X number of years they are not supposed to re-mount tires to other rims. Maybe a Les Schwab story to sell more tires?

Edited by joecool911

• Owner

Trailer tires are rated for 65 mph according to the vender. He added my question and his answer to the product page on their website. Go to questions and answers tab.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM10235.html

Ok. This also means that you can't run 65 MPH constantly either. You'll have to back down on speed as well to prevent blowouts. Like running a engine at red line for extended period surely will reduce the longevity of the engine. Just the same with ST tires you cannot run exact 65 MPH and not expect it to blow out either. I've got the same problem with both trailers I've got the Rv and utility trailer I limit my speed to 55-60 MPH and no issues with tires. The RV is going into its 4 year and still looking good. The Utility trailer will be starting its second year by mid to late summer.

• Staff

I have 65 mph tires, and have ran at 65-70 for hours on end an my only failures have been punctures on slow dirt roads.

If you are inflated to max pressure and aren't at max weight (or close) then running 65 will keep the tires cool and you shouldn't have issues.

14" tires on a GVW of 7K seems small. Even the little 7K cargo trailers I was looking at today have 15" rims.

It's a good call to change the tires, I wouldn't run on 16 year old trailer tires.. heck some won't run on 5 year old trailer tires.

Bunch of namby pambies. Lol. I understand, but they are like new. The spare still had the sticker on the tread. Already switched that one over to my utility trailer. I always carry a spare, so might as well get my monies worth.