• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Chainsaw sharpener..

rancherman

$(KGrHqMOKowFJLbPgp8MBSVrQ,iq3Q~~60_57.J

Similar to  Oregon..    about   159 bucks.

mAbk1th5Of8SVm2trmFMqcg.jpg    Oregon  511AX     about   320 bucks

Anyone have  an actual  'Oregon'   511,    Originally  was  built by an outfit in Italy,  but  I been hearing they are all out of China these days.   This is on my  'buy before next fall'  list.

Shoot,  If  the   half price one  is  identical,   why not?

I have the one you have pictured on the top and used the one like the picture below.  Both work fine.  I paid $100 for mine.(Fleet Farm).  Different brand and paint but the exact same thing, right down to the knobs.  I love it, it works great for what I have to do.  I can sharpen a 25 inch bar-chain in about 10 minutes.  Could be done faster, but I am picky. 

Thanks!

Hey,  we have  Bomgaars  around here.  It's  just like   Fleet Farm,  Tractor Supply,  etc...

They have  the  Timber Tuff  stuff too.     I  think I saw  them  for   149 the other day...   You've already  saved me 20 bucks!

I got no problem with  the  file mike,  I've used  them off and on for over 30 years...   My short fall  is  keeping   consistency  in the length from cutter to cutter.   It's a  'me' thing!  

.......Yes,  Rancherman has   faults.  :rolleyes:   shhhh....  don't tell anyone!

I'm in the middle of  Part II  of  a  three year contract to clear cut  Eastern red cedar..  on   150 acres.   March 22  is  my last day to cut for the season  (migratory birds  on the way)    I parked my beloved  Stihl  and  bought 4  cheapo   Poulan  3314  (ebay specials,   69.99 each)     Dang things  are perfect for   de brushing:  8 pounds  full of  gas and oil.  

My  039  keeps  my  butt warm in the winter,   It's  a 'member' of  MY  family!

These  trees  can  range in size from  1 inch diameter,  up to  18.     Average is  about  5-6.      Been at this  project  for a  tad over a week now, and   been  averaging   60-75  trees  per hour...    and  no time to    sharpen in the field..  I got a  stack of  chains  I'm rotating through.  I think  there are  about  40  loops  in  the rotation.  

Me and  my son are cutting,   My  wife and daughter are   pulling  the  'carcasses'  via  4 wheeler,  and  stacking  (yep,  we gotta  pile em too)

I'm starting to not like the smell of  cedar!

I had the same problem, I wasn't consistent from tooth to tooth.  I do hand file the depth gauges when it needs to be done.  I also make a little cash by sharpening other peoples chains.  When I go out to cut I bring along a few extra chains for all the saws.  A cheat sheet with the saw chain angles is handy to have.    

• Owner

By the time I get that far off my chains are typically toast anyways and well abused.

My short fall  is  keeping   consistency  in the length from cutter to cutter.   It's a  'me' thing!  

.......Yes,  Rancherman has   faults.  :rolleyes:   shhhh....  don't tell anyone!

No problem I'll keep it under my hat for ya...

It's   piled up,  into   big  ricks.       Some will be  burnt  in place,  others  will be  kept there for   windbreaks/rabbit/critter habitat.

I'll get some  pics of   before/after/ work in progress   shots

This is   eastern cedar,  and  it's  really a  junk tree.    there  is  way more  white than  red in  the  trunk.    Especially  when they are this size.   Shoot,   they  wouldn't  make  a good  fence post.  They  rot pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

FIL has one, Mike.

It  needs  a special chain,  and it actually sharpens  the  'top' of the  tooth.   Apparently,   when the  tooth is  sailing around the tip of the bar,  it's  pointed outward.     yah,  it  does  work,  but  overall,    I'm not impressed with the  durability of the   new 'edge'.

Still have to manually   drop the  depth gauges.

I think it's  best  place would be in  real trashy dirty  type  conditions...   storm clean up,   fence rows... etc.

but for   day long   production type cutting..  not so much!

Edited by rancherman