• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I know what's in the additives, I researched BEFORE I started using them. I also know they have surpassed the requirements of the Cummins N14 injector corrosion test performance as well as the Cummins L-10 injector deposit test, has been tested and approved by Bosch and found to have 3 X the lubrication of ULSD, among other cold flow improvement properties and cetene boosters That 2 stroke oil was never DESIGNED to do Or be used for.

I think I'll trust in the engineers that design the stuff for what it's used for, they've got thousands and thousands of hours of run time to back their product up rather then one HFRR test performed several years ago.

• Owner

I know what's in the additives, I researched BEFORE I started using them. I also know they have surpassed the requirements of the Cummins N14 injector corrosion test performance as well as the Cummins L-10 injector deposit test, has been tested and approved by Bosch and found to have 3 X the lubrication of ULSD, among other cold flow improvement properties and cetene boosters That 2 stroke oil was never DESIGNED to do Or be used for.

I think I'll trust in the engineers that design the stuff for what it's used for, they've got thousands and thousands of hours of run time to back their product up rather then one HFRR test performed several years ago.

Not pointed at you but showing a example of research for other members to make up there mind. That's all.

But still I would like to see Bosch test more so than Cummins. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just got back from our mining conference and the lab tech from Donaldson filters put on about an hour long presentation which mostly consisted of fuel quality and additives and such.

Most of what is being hashed through here is all subject to the actual sulfer content of the fuel which a lot of the mines sample regularly as does Donaldson and all say they get fuel analysis back with near zero sulfer up to 16 ppm sulfer so all of these lubricity reports are hinged on the sulfer content of the base fuel for starters as sulfer is what gives the fuel its primary lubricity.

He said there are roughly a thousand additives on the shelf for diesel fuels now days and every company uses a blend of a lot of them.

They showed an internal video of a 2 micron fuel filter that AH64ID would have liked, it was under normal use during a start up and you could see all of the debris that passed through it at initial start up in slow motion, made a big statement that no matter how good a filter is they are not rated at vibration and normal use just static #'s. Most of what plugs filters is what they called additive fall out.

I will have to go through my notes but he did say one thing that struck me interesting, he said all filter mfg's make and sell water separator filters as the OEM's require them but from a fuel stand point he said they are a waste of time and money with the chemical make up of fuel and additives they do nothing to help separate moisture from fuels now days.

He had a long talk about how moisture in fuel is such a huge issue now days with the low sulfer, there are ways to separate some of the water from the fuel in bulk tanks but past that it is impossible.

• Like 3

I would be very interested to hear some more of what you learned! So a 2um rated filter is not rated at 2um under vibration? BOY is that scary considering many engine manufacturers mount their filters either directly to or in the immediate vicinity of the engine!

On the water separators, that does make sense in a way because I have always made a habit of cracking the drain on both of mine and have never got any noticeable amounts of water. I have even collected the fuel I drained into a clear container and have never seen any traceable amounts...

That's pretty scary too, because that can only mean any water in the fuel is being retained in suspension and passed entirely through the fuel system.

No gelling here either. Not sure why cuz we're further north than most that are having trouble. Is Canadian fuel better quality? It always amazes me how much trouble you guys have. We never add antigel either.

better quality?   Could be!  but  I'd  say  more   'honest'!!!!    Lets face it,   one  super  arctic  blast,  and  your whole  Country shuts down!

I live  on the  edge  of   'cold as it  gets',  and  'not too bad'  winter time  conditions...    I  gotta think  the  end  sales point  play  roulette  with their  blends.    You  northerners   can't stand or tolerate   a  supply  of  junk!     All  we can do  around here is  *****...   

If  you blend  too much  #1,  lets say  over  50%,   then  the  consumer  *******  about  poor  economy.     Plus  the price per gallon  doesn't look very  appetizing  according to the  station  down the  block  (with    only  10%  #1)...   So  the  price wars   dictate  just how  much  poor  fuel is  getting sold....   ugg..     I  think  a  short course in  fuel quality  should be mandatory  for all new diesel owners!

• Like 1

Just got back from our mining conference and the lab tech from Donaldson filters put on about an hour long presentation which mostly consisted of fuel quality and additives and such.

Most of what is being hashed through here is all subject to the actual sulfer content of the fuel which a lot of the mines sample regularly as does Donaldson and all say they get fuel analysis back with near zero sulfer up to 16 ppm sulfer so all of these lubricity reports are hinged on the sulfer content of the base fuel for starters as sulfer is what gives the fuel its primary lubricity.

He said there are roughly a thousand additives on the shelf for diesel fuels now days and every company uses a blend of a lot of them.

They showed an internal video of a 2 micron fuel filter that AH64ID would have liked, it was under normal use during a start up and you could see all of the debris that passed through it at initial start up in slow motion, made a big statement that no matter how good a filter is they are not rated at vibration and normal use just static #'s. Most of what plugs filters is what they called additive fall out.

I will have to go through my notes but he did say one thing that struck me interesting, he said all filter mfg's make and sell water separator filters as the OEM's require them but from a fuel stand point he said they are a waste of time and money with the chemical make up of fuel and additives they do nothing to help separate moisture from fuels now days.

He had a long talk about how moisture in fuel is such a huge issue now days with the low sulfer, there are ways to separate some of the water from the fuel in bulk tanks but past that it is impossible.

Man,  I've been  preaching this  fact for  several years now,  the  H2O  that  is  suspended  within the fuel,  basically at the molecular level.

.....and   most  guys  only roll their eye  when I  stumble  though my rant..   They can't  visualize  water  that is  suspended  is  such a tiny form, that it  can't  'drop out'   and     hug the  bottom of the tank... where  most  pickup tubes  can't reach..

Same  type of  homogenization  that keeps  whole milk from  separating   it's  fat  and   non fat  components.

That said,   I've  had  real problems  when  people  say their fuel is cloudy..      Ok,    what's it cloudy from?  Water traces, or  is the paraffins starting to  congeal?    Early last December,  I was   dead in the driveway...    filters  were  snowed over.   Now,  you tell me,  If  that  was  'whole water'  from  the bottom of the tank,  It never would of  been  'sucked up'  in the first place!  (It would've been  a  sheet of  solid ice  in the bottom of the tank..  safe and  sound.

between the  water plug in our pipelines,  and  the final  'water bath- de sulphurization'  process..   It gets  hair pulling.

• Like 1