• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard Start Hot or cold.

I installed a Air Dog 100 thinking the stock lift pump was the cause of hard start.  It seams to be hard to start off and on. I dont hear the fuel pump come on and it is hard to start. I changed the fuel pump relay to a new one twice. if i turn the key on and off the fuel pump will come  on and the truck will start. I am lost and cant figure this out.

Check the trigger wire for the relay. Maybe a loose connection in the relay socket? Sometimes the spade connectors open up and become loose.

Okay i was just making sure no one waited longer than that. I put in the wire the air dog runs all the time when the key is on but i drove the truck about 4 miles than parked it and shopped for about 24 min. when i came out and started the truck the light went out and than started to crank it and it cranked forrever before it started. what else can i be? Once running it runs great lots of power and no troubles

Quite possible you are going to be needing injectors. Once one or more begin to fail they give the same symptoms you have. Try plugging it in for a couple of hours and see how it starts. If it starts good then you are looking at injectors. Do yourself a huge favor IF you need injectors by replacing all of them instead of trying to find out which one is the bad one. If one is failing the others are not far behind.

• Like 1

Entirely possible. What happens to make it start hard is there is too much return fuel and the rail pressure is low. You may have an injector that is beginning to slobber too.

• Like 1

Does the fuel pressure go low and the return go high because the injectors are not Giving it the fuel?? IT has 75000 miles on it but i put the air dog on when i bought at 72000. If one is slobbering like that make it smoke intermitently

From what I have learned there is a chance of some engine damage with high return rates at starting due to the fact it could be dribbling fuel when cranking and through out the running of the engine. Without pulling and testing the injector(s) it would be real difficult (IMHO) to pin point the exact cause. It could be any of these causes:
Worn injector ball seat
1. Leaking cross feed tubes (Cummins)
2. Blown internal high-pressure seal
3. Incorrect nozzle needle clearance
4. Cracked nozzle body
5. Cracked injector body

• Staff

The fuel pump won't always run when the motor is hot, it just runs for a few seconds at most unless it's really cold. Then it will run for up to ~30 seconds. 

When it doesn't come on at all try bumping the starter, go to start for a split second but dont start it. Does that make it work?

• Like 1