• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

02 3500 dually Power steering fluid dripping off brake push rod inside truck

02 5.9 QC dually 6 speed. 200k. Just what it sounds like. I noticed power steering fluid on my floor matt, appears to be dripping off of my brake push rod.  Issue is intermittent, does not leak constantly.

I know the brake power assist is by the power steering pump. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and how difficult is it to repair or get the brake booster thing out of there. Is it just a seal to be replaced? or do I need to replace the brake booster assy? Do I need to crack all brake lines & remove the master cyl?

Thanks!

Edited by Ironforger

Mine did that last summer and I was running ATF at the time. I flushed the system and switched to power steering fluid and it hasn't leaked since...just my experience. Then, if you run PS fluid you lose the flow properties in the winter time.

• Owner

Mine did that last summer and I was running ATF at the time. I flushed the system and switched to power steering fluid and it hasn't leaked since...just my experience. Then, if you run PS fluid you lose the flow properties in the winter time.

Run Supertech Power Steering fluid year round with temps as low as -25*F not issues with whine or steering. But I always flush the system out before winter and start winter with a fresh batch of power steering fluid that isn't all scorch out from summer heat.

• Like 2

Excellent advice. Thanks guys!

I'll look into getting the seal kit & dedicate a Saturday to this.

Michael - you mentioned Supertech Power Steering fluid.  Is that the wallmart product? Also, what is the best method for flusing the power steering system?   Dissconnect the return at the ps resevoir and let run into pan while constantly filling with new fresh fluid?

Thanks again