• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel gauge issues

We'll I grounded the signal wire and the gauge slowly moved to full. It moved really slow. Took about 20 seconds to move all the way to full and about the same to empty when I removed ground. Is that normal? If so is it safe to say it's the sender installed wrong? Thanks.

Bare with me here, so the non signal wire is a ground? Does that mean I just need to ground it and all should be good? Sorry I'm not the best with electrical but I will get it sooner or later.

Edited by Mailboxperry

So I was looking at the PCM and noticed its ground was pretty dirty. So to be cautious I unhooked the batteries before I removed the ground cable. Took it off and cleaned the ends. Hooked everything back up and now my fuel gauge is stuck on full. What did I do wrong or what does that mean?

We'll it was short lived. Didn't even make it out of driveway and back to empty. Is it safe to say the PCM is to blame? All the wires are good. It also looks like the PCM has been replaced recently. It's the cleanest part under the hood and it's appears to be a Motorola brand.

This gauge is controlled by the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received by the cluster from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine, or from the Engine Control Module (ECM) on vehicles equipped with a diesel engine over the Programmable

Thats what I don't understand, ecm controls all engine control stuff. The Pcm (on the firewall) controls everything else. But, the service manual states different, and I can only find the one wiring diagram with the wires running to the pcm. I would ohm out both wires and see what you get.