• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VW B4

joecool911

Anyone familiar with the B4 Volkswagen? Made at the Audi plant and like a Passat on steroids and gets 50 mpg. There is a guy in Bellingham Washington who is restoring to your pleasure. New paint, interior, motor, drive axle, suspension and brakes all new. You can get one for around $12k. Biggest VW ever made and will go 100 mph @ 3,500 RPM's. I think they are all stick shift too. Range 1,000 to 1,200 miles on 25 gallon tank. Supposed to run on bio diesel too. We are thinking of driving up and discussing a build. Only 650 imported to USA in 96,97.

Chevys  cruze    diesel is  a   euro built/designed   engine?   

VM Motori builds the engines, which happens to be the same manufacturer of the engines Chrysler is using in the new Ram Ecodiesel, the Grand Cherokee, and Liberty. I'm sure there are quite a few minor changes to the emissions and fuel systems but they have been in use in Europe for a while and seem to be very capable and reliable engines.

• Like 1

My question would be just how different are these cars? How about parts availability and service? I didn't know VW even had a 25 gallon tank available? Our Beetle is a roller skate compared to that body and doesn't clear 50 mpg, I would be a little suspicious of those claims. Sure, under the right conditions it will do that and better, but I'm talking average as in over a tank of fuel of everyday driving...

My VW mk6 (2012 JSW) is now consistantly seeing 45 to 50 mpg at about 70 mph. My son's mk5 (2006 Jetts sedan) gets about 40 to 45 mpg at the same speeds.

Yes, but that's more of an instant mpg number. My truck can get 25mpg under the right circumstances, but when you look at an average number over the course of a tank of fuel no way. I just like to look at the overall average numbers when considering a vehicle, and for them to claim an "average" 50mpg seems suspicious. That would mean at cruising speeds like you mention it would have to achieve well north of 55mpg and I don't see that happening.