• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost Elbow Question

I installed an adjustable boost elbow today preset at 30psi.  Before the elbow with the Comp on 5x5 I was seeing a moderate amount of smoke at wot.  After the elbow installation it's rollin' some serious coal now at wot. Am I mistaken thinking that there should be less smoke with the elbow than without? Truck runs awesome just curious about the smoke I think I choked a poor guy on a bicycle today when I passed him.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Removed extra blank lines

Do you know how much boost you are running? If it isn't set right then you could just not have enough air flow. This will act just like a boost leak and you will see the coal roll like no other...

I'm going to do a little testing today. I couldn't really get into it because I had the family in there.  I'll let you know. I think you're probably right the preset isn't set correctly.  I need to check my CAC hoses too anyway.  That's one thing I haven't replaced yet.

If you are running the HX35 you are good to 35psi with out damaging anything. That usually clears up most of it for sure.

Thanks.  I went back and set it to 35psi.  You're right that cleared it up for the most part.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. I have to try and trace down a boost leak now. I can make pressure but I cant hold it. Is the best way to find the leak to pressurize the inlet at the turbo and use the old fashioned soap and water?

• Like 1

I tested for leaks and cant find anything. I pressurized, listened, used soapy water and cant find anything. Still not holding pressure. Plugged wastsgate and drove. I can hit 28psi but starts dropping intstantly. Any ideas guys?

Mash that puppy to the floor! (If your tranny will hold haha) You should be seeing above 30 psi, especially because of the low elevation. With just a comp at 5,300ft elevation I was at 33# of boost. My egts were also way hotter though.

The alternative is to find something to plug the intake of the turbo and use an air compressor to pressurize the system. This is how I have tested for several boost leaks. Just make sure the valves are closed and don't go over 60psi. Most of the leaks I have found show up around 35-40psi.