• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Will i haven't been on for a long time thought i would start with a fun post. So I am see what other have paid to replace there rear ends. Also what brands you have gone with in the rebuild. I have three shop in my area give me a ball park low end was 1800 and high end was 3200. So far i have found pieces of my posi and i had one piece of a shim out of the pinion come out.  As far as brand I can get Yukon, Nitro, and one place orders from  Randy ring and pinion. Sad is this will be the first thing on this truck in 300k that has been done in my drive way. I have never been into a rear end. So any one in Washington a master rear end installer. :)   

Yeah if you do not have the proper tools and know how a Dana is not the diff to learn on, best left to an experienced hand.

Also check quad4x4.com for pricing.

1800-3200 labor included sounds about right depending on what is all coming apart on a LS unit. Maybe a bit high if the gear set is still good though. If replacing the entire rotating assembly would be over $1k at least plus labor of about 6 hours give or take.

my gear have a lot  scaring on them. I could see it when I last change the oil. I think I have to many miles pulling with my programmers on hill billy mode as my wife calls it. But cant beat 300k of programmer and a owner who drive it like a 16 kid. The main shop i an looking at have do it they use Yukon gears. Does anyone have a opinion on them.

In the past when I worked at a gear shop we had mixed results with Yukon, the main issue we saw was they tended to have a howl to them that can't be adjusted out. Had several sets where the customer complained and we tried several different adjustments but the nature of how they make them is what causes it, doesn't mean they are poor quality just a minor inconveinience in some applications.

I had mine rebuilt a couple months ago for $2200. That was with new u-joints in the drive shaft and rebalance too. All stock Dana parts, limited slip. These were dodge guys, father and son shop, who both have cummins. They said Dana parts were the best.

I've done a few Dana 60's and 70's some Yukon some G2 and some stock Dana's never had any problems as long as the run out looked good. Just make sure you do a good run out and some no longer use a crush sleeve just a standard spacer. The ones with the standard spacer have to be shimmed a little better than the ones with a crush sleeve.

Will I can fix everything thing in these truck but when it come to transmission and rear end I prefer to have someone to blame when it fails anyone have someone in Washington that they have a man crush who does rearends

Is it limited slip? How much damage? I used to do all size Dana diff's. Customers had to pull them and bring them to my shop. But that was a long time back. Bench time is 4 hours. Dana Parts   1000.00 ??    labor 360.00      Impossible to do a Dana properly in the truck. 

Is it limited slip? How much damage? I used to do all size Dana diff's. Customers had to pull them and bring them to my shop. But that was a long time back. Bench time is 4 hours. Dana Parts   1000.00 ??    labor 360.00      Impossible to do a Dana properly in the truck. 

Hmmm... I can't say that I've done 12-14 in the truck and as long as the run out looked good I've never had any issues.

have u  priced a   used  complete axle?      

I  did a  quick search on  car-parts.com  and  came up  ( I  figured  you had  the  '80  because of your  manual trans)    with  several  units  in the 1100 range..  complete  drum to drum...        with  limited slip and  most  have     120k miles..    Edit:    some  were  even   lower,  in the  750 range..  but had  more miles too.

Just sayin...      You already know   300k miles   are  quite doable   with these   axles!     Aftermarket   crap,  even  the  replacement  parts  used  by  Mopar herself  just isn't the same  as  what  rolled down the  assembly line.

Edited by rancherman