• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery Tray Bolts for 1999 Cummins 24V

I am trying to remove the left [Drivers side] battery tray. I removed the visual nuts and bolts from the battery tray, it wont come out, so I went online for information and they speak of battery tray bolts that are attached from the bottom of the tray which I can not see or feel. My thoughts are to remove the rubber/plastic wheel cover shield on the fender to gain access to the battery tray bolts. The wheel cover is attached with several plastic clips which has to be removed for access. I need to remove the battery box to access the Cruise Control Server and hoses/wiring, Sorry for the long story but I want you to understand what I am doing. If there is an easier way to access the battery tray bolts please tell me. Also where can I buy the replacement shield clips.

• Owner

Typically they are just little metal clips in the tray as shown in the PDF above. I usually will put a dab of anti-seize on the bolt threads, then install. But also make it a maintenance thing to dribble engine oil down the bolts so the bolts don't corrode from the battery acid. To this day my bolts are unharmed the clips are still 100% great condition.

• Like 1

Thank ya'all for the replies. I removed the wheel panel and battery box, checked my Cruise Control server and found nothing visually wrong. I did find three female plugs with no males present, one under the battery box with several fine wires connected within the plug and two female plugs hanging from the block just above the vp44, and wondering what there purpose might be? Everything is set back in place waiting to be tightened back up, I thought I would leave the bolts loose until after I install the new 2/0 battery cables. The cables cost less than half of what Dodge wanted and these are heavier guage with Military style battery connectors.

The more I do to upgrade this Dodge the more I feel that the folks that engineered it did a very poor job, but I love my Dodge when it runs well and works hard pulling my stock trailer with ease. I thank everyone for your help.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife stopped by the local Dodge dealer and purchased the inner fender cover clips for me. I had told her that they could not possibly cost more than ten dollars, we were both shocked they cost $69.00. I have not installed them yet. I have thirty days to return them but will be charged a 15% restocking fee. These clips are nothing but household Molly Bolts with a rubber/plastic material sprayed on them. I will buy some Molly bolts and small washers to install between the Molly and the bolt, if this works I will just loose the 15% restocking fee and figure that I just cut my losses and F..K the thieves at Dodge.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my Dodge to a body shop to install the inner fender cover and the clips that Dodge charged me $69.00 for can be bought at Harbor Freight for $5.95 for !00 clips and they are identical. I want to apologise for my rant against Dodge but they did screw me and that is a FACT.