• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HE351cw map?

So does anyone know what the map is for the HE351cw turbo? The reason for asking is I'm able to push this turbo to about 50psi with 100hp injectors on a 2nd gen truck. I currently have the waist gate set at 45psi and I know at WOT I can hit almost 50psi.

Doing some searching I found a compressor map for the HE351cw seems max recomended boost pressure is 49psi, however after about 33psi it's flow rate goes down if I'm reading the map right.

post-353-0-62782000-1406602957_thumb.jpg

Edited by bjytech

Doing some searching I found a compressor map for the HE351cw seems max recomended boost pressure is 49psi, however after about 33psi it's flow rate goes down if I'm reading the map right.
attachicon.gifhe351cwmap.jpg

that to me looks like that as long as the turbine to turbine stays in the ratio it will run much higher than what i'm capable of pushing it... :think:

• Staff

that to me looks like that as long as the turbine to turbine stays in the ratio it will run much higher than what i'm capable of pushing it... :think:

The turbine will push 2:1 at around 2800 rpms and 30 psi of boost...

The compressor is capable of at least 2x, if not 3x, the flow of the turbine. The tight turbine will also overspeed the turbo. I would set the wastegate at 35, or look for a spare turbo. They don't last long above 38-40, historically speaking.

Based on it's map peak airflow occurs at 33psi at sea level.

• Staff

Matt I'm not too sure on that. AH says not to push it past 35psi but over on the CF forum they are running there's at 40-45psi using 75-125hp sticks. :shrug:

I bet that's without a drive pressure gauge....

That's a very small turbine.

They can be ran to about 400-450hp for short bursts that are on the high side of efficiency, and about 350-400hp for towing depending on the altitude.

You can have the turbine wheel replaced with a larger one and it helps out a bit. Turbo Re-Source can do it.

• Like 1

• Staff

IMHO, the best "set up" for a "HAULER" is a set of towing "twins".  Especially thru the hilly and mountainous parts of our country

That way you're not worrying about spool...........etc.

Twins are certainly the best way to go, if the $$ is there.

I have to say I am pretty impressed with my single performance at altitude thou. It spools VERY fast, and keeps me cool enough to move 20K GCW up a 4% grade at 6-7K feet on a 85° day at 70 in 6th gear. Steeper grades and 5th gear have yet to show me 1200°, even on 102° days. Twins would let me hit a 6-8% grade at interstate speed, but there just aren't too many I encounter where I can run that speed at altitude.

It's all about matched parts. My injectors are matched to my turbo, only possible with UDC, and the turbo is matched to my rpm band. The cam makes a HUGE difference and I am not sure I could do what I do at elevation without a quality cam. But a good single and a good cam are cheaper than twins, and always allow for twins. After having 3 different cams in my 05 I can say with decent certainty that cams work.