• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help with NV4500 swap

My 47RE is going out. Starting to chatter on low rpm lug in lock up and OD. I need to get my mind around gathering parts for the swap quick. Does anyone know how much I'll need to spend to get this done? Are there any sorurces that sell kit for reasonable prices? I have access to decent replacement auto transmissions locally for $1,500 tha have valve body upgrades, add $500 for removal and install and $1,000 for a torque converter and we are up to $3k. Can I do the swap for this amount if I do most of the labor myself? Kinda short on money. Saving for hip replacement surgery. Out of pocket looking like $5k plus living expenses while in recover.

I guess it would depend on if you could find a good donor truck (junk yard ?) or if you are going to have to buy parts. I haven't heard of anyone making a swap kit personally but that doesn't mean anything.

If you could find a truck that had all the pedals wiring and hard parts, you might be able to do it pretty easily.

I'm generally not an advocate of automatics but I have a question for you...if your going in for hip surgery are you going to be able to handle the stiff clutch pedal of a standard trans? How about say 5 years from now? (assuming your planning on keeping the truck)

Before you go making a big decision like this I would get a good competent trans shop to check it out. Depending on the mileage and use and abuse it may or may not need a full rebuild. You can do a good single disc convertor and valve body for around 1500- 1800 (parts only, and could have the truck back in a day or two.

Also another thing to consider is are you going to be able to source a good standard transmission...just because it's a gear rower doesn't mean it isn't gonna have wear and tear especially if somebody incompetent was behind the wheel. If I were going that far I would be inclined to freshen it up to avoid any problems down the road and the hassle of having to drop it out again. I also would be looking for a NV5600 or a G56 if I were going to do the swap. If your gonna do it you might as well do it right...nothing against the 4500 it is a reliable trans but the 3-4 shift is similar to the tall gearing of the 47re, only you don't have the torque convertor to help keep the rpm's where they need to be.

It's hard to compare what your comparing, because in one sense you are getting a fresh transmission, while in the other sense you are getting a used transmission with unknown use and maintenance and in some instances mileage. It can be a bit of a crap shoot what you end up with.