• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey All From WI

gradymayhem

Hey guys, didn't see this introduction area or I would've posted here before. Lifelong cummins fan, and fairly new cummins owner here. Guess I'll share a bit about my truck. Last may, a friend of a friend was putting his 00 24v up for sale. The dealership would only give him 4 grand, so I paid him 4300 and got the truck, despite him suspecting Vp44 issues. I figured out that the vp was just fine (he had put in a new upgraded one) it was just a weak lift pump. So my first project was installing a Raptor 150 with 1/2" line and pulling the stock pump from the tank. Since then, I've redone the body, gotten another set of tires and wheels, put on an s&b intake I got from a buddy for helping him stud his 01 twin turbo, installed a fuel pressure gauge, removed the silencer ring, and done some much needed maintenance.

I'm not much of a horsepower junky, I'm all about durability and low end torque. So I don't plan on extensive mods, just stuff that will give me fuel economy and help me make it from the 190000 mark to the 1000000 mile mark.

As money allows I'm going to add: boost elbow and boost gauge, exhaust (4" diamond eye unless I can find a used stacks kit for around the same price), a cheap tuner with economy mode, shift kit and other parts when I do a tranny flush this spring, and 50-100 hp injectors when my stock original ones eventually fail (started getting grey smoke on startup recently but some cleaner brought it back to a healthy black so I'm not sure how long these injectors have).

I'd post a picture of my truck as my profile pic, but it won't let me because "maximum file size is 0kb". I'd also change my signature to include my truck description but can't figure that one out either lol.post-2450-0-63149900-1412267618_thumb.jppost-2450-0-82536400-1412267655_thumb.jppost-2450-0-63149900-1412267618_thumb.jp

• Owner
I'd post a picture of my truck as my profile pic, but it won't let me because "maximum file size is 0kb". I'd also change my signature to include my truck description but can't figure that one out either lol

Welcome to the site. Sorry about the profile limits that in place till 20 post and they are automatically lifted. This is makes unfavorable for spammers.

As money allows I'm going to add: boost elbow and boost gauge, exhaust (4" diamond eye unless I can find a used stacks kit for around the same price), a cheap tuner with economy mode, shift kit and other parts when I do a tranny flush this spring, and 50-100 hp injectors when my stock original ones eventually fail (started getting grey smoke on startup recently but some cleaner brought it back to a healthy black so I'm not sure how long these injectors have).

If you work on getting economy and efficiency up the horse power will come with it. Like myself I'm just running little +50 HP injectors and a Edge Comp. Still running stock 3" because there is absolutely no need for 4" since all economy drive should be done at 5 PSI or less so there is no back pressure anyways.

But my current high mark. Cmg (Current MPG for the Day).

rrnif5.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. Sorry about the profile limits that in place till 20 post and they are automatically lifted. This is makes unfavorable for spammers.

If you work on getting economy and efficiency up the horse power will come with it.

Thank you!  I've used your articles and some wiring diagrams from the site before.  I really appreciate you taking the time to share your passion.  It makes learning much easier for noobs like me.

And as far as HP gains go, do I need to be concerned about my stock 47RE just from the power gained from efficiency mods?  I'd like to do a valve body and stuff eventually, but for now, replacing the filter and making sure the bands are good is my primary concern.

• Owner

Lets say with my setup right now I've got problems with my tires holding dry pavement in 2nd or 3rd gears. Depending on condition of the road, what I'm towing and how hard I get on the throttle it been known to spin the tires. So I would say yes... Take care of all the weakness like the trans and fuel system before you even think about upgrading fuel or HP.

Do not flush the trans unless you plan on buying a new trans. I have seen it happen many times. Drop the fluid, pull the return line going to trans and put into container. Start pickup until fluid stops draining. Install upgraded governor presure sensor and solenoid. Adjust front and rear bands. Put new filter and install pan. Add a bottle of lucas trans fix and 6 qts of atf+4. Drive nicely until engine gets warm and add fluid as needed. That is the most reliable way of changing trans fluid.

As far as mileage, I really love the mpg/high idle/ 3 cylinder idle switch. It really helped mileage in winter. Get rid of the aftermarket intake and install a bhaf. Oiled filters let too much dirt in and you actually want the warm air from the engine getting sucked into the turbo. 4" isnt going to help with mileage (either will a cold air intake) the only advantage is better sound. I like using mufflers so it isnt too loud

Edited by mopartechnician

Thanks mopartechnician. Yeah that's what I meant when I said "flush". I don't wanna go stirring up sediment and messing anything up.

And thanks yabbadoo, it's my dream truck... Except for the short bed and 47re. Fortunately, the trans has been problem free but I've heard so many horror stories that I want an nv4500. But I'll skip big expenses til I get the long bed version of my truck lol.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...