• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coil Springs

When I put the factory snow plow package springs in my 02 I found there where a dozen or so different spring part numbers alone just for the 2500 4X4, drive and pass sides different number ect. The Dodge OEM plow spring part # is 52113988AA. I had real good luck with them and did not get the overly stiff ride some think they give as I had a long box ex cab with a ranch hand.They were in combo with rancho rs5000 shocks.

I just did a little searching and found 3 options at napa. Part # NCP 2773271 spring set which is rated at 2640 per spring, Part # NCP 2775415 rated at 935 per spring, and Part # NCP 2775414 rated at 807 per spring.

I did some measuring on my truck and according to the wire diameter measuring I have either the 807 or (probably) the 935 rated springs on my truck. 

My coil spring wire measurement: 0.849 (with some surface rust and dirt on them)

807 coil spring wire measurement: 0.843

935 coil spring wire measurement: 0.843

2640 coil spring wire measurement: 0.937

V10 coils came in, they are the same height as the oems, about 17-7/8s. But, they are variable rate instead of constant rate. The spec sheet said they are supposed to be 18-1/4", with a design load of 935, as opposed to the diesel ones rated at 807 lbs per coil. It doesn't seem right that the new coils are the same height as the old ones, unless sagging coils are a myth...any input?

post-1611-0-70837300-1413331117_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-17473100-1413331172_thumb.jp

Type One Tangential End; One Square End Inner Diameter 4.09" Wire Diameter .84" Median Design Height 16.00" Number of Coils 8.05 Design Load 935 Spring Rate 423 Approximate Free Height 18.25"

Here are the specs for v10 coils. They are definitely a little shorter than stock now that they are loaded, so I had to buy 1.5" coil spacers, coming in this week. 

The rubber insulators were bulging out around the shock tower and I needed to replace them. So I figured while I was doing that for 100 bucks get new coils. The V 10 coils were supposed to be taller and rated for more weight than the diesel ones. Worst comes to worst I yank them and put diesel ones... Also after 220,000 miles and 13 years those coils are probably pretty tired

That was my initial thought, skyjacker d25s, but then I decided I didn't want to raise the front that much for added wear on the front end/nose high when loaded. 1.5" spacers come in tomorrow, I should have them in Friday night and we'll see how bad it pulls my axle with the stock track bar. Probably getting an adjustable track bar this winter/spring anyways...

V10 coils came in, they are the same height as the oems, about 17-7/8s. But, they are variable rate instead of constant rate. The spec sheet said they are supposed to be 18-1/4", with a design load of 935, as opposed to the diesel ones rated at 807 lbs per coil. It doesn't seem right that the new coils are the same height as the old ones, unless sagging coils are a myth...any input?

attachicon.gif003.JPG

attachicon.gif004.JPG

I've replaced coils with aftermarket ones over the years... and just about every one had a instruction sheet stating.." Don't worry if the height of the new spring is actually 'SHORTER' Than the original spring being replaced... The new spring is a different wire size, coil spread... etc, the real difference will be after installation. IT WILL BE TALLER THAN THE TIRED SPRINGS..

Food for thought.

I've replaced coils with aftermarket ones over the years... and just about every one had a instruction sheet stating.." Don't worry if the height of the new spring is actually 'SHORTER' Than the original spring being replaced... The new spring is a different wire size, coil spread... etc, the real difference will be after installation. IT WILL BE TALLER THAN THE TIRED SPRINGS..

Food for thought.

Thanks for your input rancherman. It's nice to get advice from experience. With the spacer's, the truck is sitting almost exactly 1.5" taller in the front, give or take 1/16" or an 1/8". I'll drive around with them for a while and see how they do. I was curious because the bottom 3 coils are pretty much touching so the maybe the ride quality is dependent on the upper coils which are spaced further apart.

Correct.

slightly different material, coil shape, etc... could make the 'free' height different. especially when dealing with the variable rate coil. They know what that spring does when loaded, and have adjusted the length accordingly. Not saying all replacement springs are like this, the few I've replaced all had the little 'warning' sticker in the box. "don't freak out when comparing springs"

Rockauto has 'snowplow' springs for $222 pair.. most of the others are less than $100 pair. My old '94 gasser is set up with those springs. There IS A DIFFERENCE!! I like em!