• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Start up after long term storage or fresh rebuild first start

I have to correct myself, it is the Mercedes engine in a Fr8liner that gives us the biggest headache and then as you said the detroits second we have issues with in our service trucks, don't have an OTR  truck with a Volvo engine, but we do have an articulated Volvo off road truck.

X2 on the Mercedes. Fought that battle many times on the MB900. I don't miss that job. I agree with the atf as well. Worked for a fleet where it was actually standard procedure to fill filters with atf. i pulled out many injectors that looked just like the pictures Mike posted. I brought it up during a conference call and they said they had been doing it that way for years and it didn't have anything to do with the injectors. Worst part is that these were all 4bt and 6bt engines. You could manually prime the filter in minutes. My blood pressure spikes every time I hear someone say, "We've always done it that way". I say, well you've always done it wrong then.

• Owner

Like I try to inform people is the whole design of ATF has changed from 1970's to today. They are not even close in design any longer. So yes back in the 1970's it was fine to to add ATF to the fuel or to a filter. Today ATF is so different it doesn't burn correctly.

Then "We've always done it that way" phrase...

I really get wound up too over that. Just because back in the old days it was common to do things doesn't mean that today's engine will tolerate that. Like using ether, ATF, all kinds of "We've always done it that way". It will come back to bite you eventually.

• Like 1

Like I try to inform people is the whole design of ATF has changed from 1970's to today. They are not even close in design any longer. So yes back in the 1970's it was fine to to add ATF to the fuel or to a filter. Today ATF is so different it doesn't burn correctly.

Then "We've always done it that way" phrase...

I really get wound up too over that. Just because back in the old days it was common to do things doesn't mean that today's engine will tolerate that. Like using ether, ATF, all kinds of "We've always done it that way". It will come back to bite you eventually.

You just can't get some people to realize that this industry is constantly changing and you have to put forth the effort to do some research to find out what is the correct way to do things.  I get into more arguments over pre-filling filters than anything else.  I'm the only one in our shop who doesn't do it and they think I'm a nut. I tried to explain it and even took in a couple of articles but guess what I got? ......We've always done it that way.  Geez!