• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2014 Alloy Rims on a 1998.5

I bought a set of 2014 18" take off alloy rims w/tires off craigs list.   I thought they would be a nice upgrade from my steel wheels with bald tires.  I understand the lugs wouldn't fit, but thought the rims would. 

To make the rear fit, they need to be spaced out for the rims to clear in the rear.

Anyone have any advice on the size of the spacers I need and where to buy them?

Thanks again,

Philo

The Problem's with the 18" rims.  I've seen this asked a bunch, but no one ever posts the spacer size required.  So I would think you best bet would be to do some measuring and see.  Also, if you get them on there... PICS!!!

• Like 1

Jep - Cowboy is correct the cap on the wheels hits the studs.

So I measured it the rims / studs and it appears I need about an inch spacer to make them work.

Then I thought about it, and 1" spacers would mean I would have to cut the studs to make the spacers work.  Cutting 32 studs doesn't sound fun.

So I measured again and it appears 1.5" would work and I wouldn't have to cut the studs.  So  2  1.5" spacers in the rear should make this work, but I am not sure what kind of havoc this would rain on my turning.  

The back spacing on the 2014 rims is ~ 2" deeper....so I ordered 4  2" spacers.   I am not a fan of spacers, but I like the rims (18 alloy take off's with 3k on them) and got a good deal.  

The spacers should be here on Friday - I will let you guys know if this works, or if I just ordered some very expensive paper weights.

Edited by Philo Beddoe

I believe he means the spacers have 8 holes for the existing studs and have 8 studs on the adapters. The existing studs are longer than one inch so they would protrude beyond the spacers necessitating the cutting to get the rim to seat against the spacer.

Received the wheel spacers tonight and installed them. Will take it for a ride on Tuesday and then re-torque them.   

The stock bald tires and steel rims weighed 69 lbs each and the 2014 alloys and tires weigh 82 lbs ea.

I like the rims and the rear fit well, but the front look like they stick out a little.  

post-975-0-94843700-1419317204_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-62085500-1419317230_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-88743800-1419317251_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-89898100-1419317273_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-00939000-1419317318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philo Beddoe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bump!!!

How are these doing for you? Would you recommend them as an upgrade? Any noticeable difference in handling or ride quality?  I came across a set of take offs from a 14 Long Horn. If I can get the guy to come down a little, I may end up with a set.

Where did you buy your spacers from?

Depending on how this all goes, I may have a set of 17" take offs from a 12 Laramie and low mileage Nitto Tera Grappler 285/75/17s for sale.