• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard start after sitting over night, losing prime maybe?

Hi All, 

have not been on the site for a while. To many other things in life going on. Had to go reset my password to get back on.

So I have a quick question for you all. In the last week my truck 1998.5 24V has been acting up. After it sits overnight, go out in the morning to cold start it, it will fire right up, run for 10-15 seconds and then die, like it ran out of fuel. Then it is a real bear to restart. It acts like it's out of fuel, or losing prime. It only does this the 1st cold start of the day, the rest of the time you shut it off and restart it throughout the day, it fires right off and runs great!! 

My driveway is level or flat, no steep inclines around here. 

My truck has a fuel boss system I put on it. It has been great and trouble free. I've had it on there now for over 70,000 miles without any problems, it still has the original belt on it I put on at the time of the install. It always has 15-16 lbs FP at idle and 19-21 ruining down the road. Other then the fuel boss my truck is stock, well except for the 4" exhaust and BHAF. Other then that it's stock.

This morning I checked over the fuel system. I found two fittings that are wet, like they are seeping a little fuel. I wonder if this is where my problems is? Maybe where the fittings are seeping a little fuel, after it sits over night is sucking a little air? Causing it to loose prime over night?

Thanks for any tips, and help. 

Edited by 24Vdodge

I would address the leaks that you found and look for any others. It sounds like you are already on the right track.

Agree, eliminate the obvious first then see how it acts, and then will think of other possible issues, if you figure it out update this thread so everybody is aware. If hoses are old and cracked replace them.

This afternoon I took the fittings apart (these are the two fittings on either side of the filter canister) there was no fuel in the inlet or outlet hoses. I spun the filter off and the fuel level was about 1/2" to 3/4 of a inch down.  I cleaned the fittings well and put some Indian head sealer on the threads and put everything back together, Let it set a few hours to give let the sealant setup. Cracked open 3 of the injectors open and fired the truck up.  I looked the system over and did not find anymore wet spots.

I have started it a few times and it fires right up. But it always does, after the 1st cold start of the day. It is over night when it acts up. Will see what happens, on cold start tomorrow?!?! This is the 1st fuel system problem I have had since installing the fuel boss. I am sure it is a leak or I hope so!!

Edited by 24Vdodge

• 1 month later...

hope you find a solution to solve the starting issues when cold. I am having the same issue, just started a couple of days ago but will not start even after being warmed up. Like you said when it is right you can't get off the key fast enough. Now it cranks for 10 to 20 seconds before starting. One other difference I noticed with mine is at an idle, the RPMs drop suddenly every 15 seconds just enough to show the needle drop then the engine picks it back up again. I also have a lot of white smoke when first starting it. No leaks or indications anywhere that I can find. My VP44 is a Blue Chip Special X installed 2 years ago with about 10K miles on it. I also pulled the in tank pump adding an extension to the screen, very clean modification that has worked great. I added a Raptor 95 gph pump back on the block. Don't know the fuel pressure, I bought an idiot light to indicate low pressure but after talking to MoparMan (M. Nelson) I need some good mechanical fuel pressure, pyrometer, etc., hooked up. My health issues have held me back but things are turning around for me, thank you Jesus, and I plan on correcting all of this. After reading your post and the replies from other members I might have a leaking injector. I am going to replace them anyway so I might upgrade to the FASS Titanium Pump and new after market 1/2 inch draw straw kit. Did you solve your problem? Was it an injector tube or something else? Thank you.