• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another NPR Truck Question.....

• Staff

Been looking around for an older diesel NPR truck. The one Im interested in has a straight piped stack which makes it too loud to for residential. Seller says, ''it wakes up the neighborhood''.

So is a crome muffler very expensive? Or are there any other tricks/ options to quiet it down? Thanks in advance.

BTW I love how you can tilt the cab and get to all the engine parts like working at a work bench. That's too easy.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Its got side utility tool boxes, 5 on each side that come up only about half what a full box height is. Then it's got a telescoping aluminum bed cover between the tool boxes that slides in sections over one another. Sort of like a telescope cut in half with sections that slide under each other.

Sometimes my thought is just go for the full box.... think of the storage :thumb1: ... but then I like the 6 speed manual trans on this one :drool:

Thanks to all you guys for any help/ advice on this.

Just found out too.... that this one has a six cylinder Isuzu... means possibly it hasn't worked itself so hard over the 299,000 miles on it. I can only go see it tomorrow after the guy gets off work

Any common problems you guys know about and I should look out for? It's a 1995.

Edited by JAG1

As  with any  commercial  truck,   check the  axle ratio.    You may  have  'in town'  type  gears,  or     highway   type  gears...    just check  to make sure  whatcha  are in for...  and  see if  they are what you need for YOUR  application!

I'd imagine you'd find  anywhere from 3.70's  all the way up to   5.5'  or even 6.0's    Then again,   if  this  truck is  really what you want,  a  gear swap isn't  too   bad...  time or money wise.

• Staff

Good point about the gearing. I think with the 6 spd trans I would want highway gears. That would mean 3:55's is my guess. Just look at the factory plate with the specs? Or I'll get it out on the highway and make sure she's not screaming.

Good point about the gearing. I think with the 6 spd trans I would want highway gears. That would mean 3:55's is my guess. Just look at the factory plate with the specs? Or I'll get it out on the highway and make sure she's not screaming.

yes!  by all means,   take it for a  drive!

There  should  be a plate   too  that  should  say  what they are.      Now,   just  don't  be  surprised  if  all you can  get  out of it is  75 mph.      I have  no idea  if  that 6 speed is  OD.