• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I finally ordered some transmission parts last week! Called Goerend and ordered an 800/300 tripple disk converter, full valve body and transmission pan. Also ordered a TCS billet input shaft and all the other goodies to make it go. I had planned on building it myself with a buddy that used to work on these trucks for a living but we are just to busy, so tonight I dropped it off at a local transmission builder. It had a factory rebuild not to long ago so I'm hoping no other parts will need replacing. I can't wait to get this thing back!

• Like 1

You are going to like the converter! That is the same one I have and at 365hp and 833tq I have not had it slip EVER!!! Then I add propane and I am guessing close to 400hp and still as good as you would expect. My transmission is not built up that much, (mostly stock parts by Dave G), but after about 100k miles there was almost no wear in it. I did manage to break the front drum though..........

post-18-0-08965000-1421287646_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

800/300, what's the stall speed? I have a low stall and I hate it, it stalls my truck out and I'm swapping it out for a stock stall or higher stall speed. It shifts way too soon for normal driving, but it's great when you're on the throttle. Ryan, so how many cummins do you have now? A 12v, a 24v and CR?

500-800 rpm lower is what they told me. I will definitely have to idle the truck up because it wants to die now when it's cold. It idles about 750 now when it's warm but about 500 when cold, thinking about maybe a pull type throttle cable so u can keep the warm idle where it's at. I am down to just one 12v but last time I tried to change my signature, I wasn't able to.

Keep in mind the recommended idle speed (in gear WITH A/C on) is 750RPM. To get mine there it idles at about 900RPM in neutral. That really doesn't seem to be a problem EXCEPT when it is real slick out.

Got the truck back today and it performs great! Trans shifts great and pulls awesome, I might even like it better than manuals. Idle drops down when I put it in gear but I don't think I will need to adjust the idle. Builder called this morning saying the clutches looked good but we're stock and wanted to know if I wanted him to go ahead and go better/more clutches since he was in there, I told him to go ahead, didn't want any regrets later.

When I got my tranny from Dave Goerends he told me it would hold a minimum of 600 HP. I have no clue if it would, but I do know that it has had about 400 HP coming out of it and absolutely no slippage.

Is this the same guy that RIPPED the auto from his former truck in favor of a 5 speed (and had just as much enthusiasm doing it) talking? LOL.

Glad you like it. Still going strong on the auto I had built for my previous 2000 truck. (Pushing close to 100k miles now) While I don't like the gearing of a 4 speed auto, its hard to beat the performance of a properly built trans with any standard of equivalent gearing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the truck back today and it performs great! Trans shifts great and pulls awesome, I might even like it better than manuals. Idle drops down when I put it in gear but I don't think I will need to adjust the idle. Builder called this morning saying the clutches looked good but we're stock and wanted to know if I wanted him to go ahead and go better/more clutches since he was in there, I told him to go ahead, didn't want any regrets later.

What kind of clutches did he "upgrade" to? I prefer to run OEM style clutch plates in every build.

I think Dynamic could add some valuable articles to the tech section here if he is willing to share some of his knowledge. There are a few on here with some basic knowledge but no real trans techs that I'm aware of. Even a few pointers on the more basic DIY jobs would be greatly appreciated by myself and I'm sure many others.

What do ya say Dynamic?