• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'99 long cranking before it fires, issue

I know you already said it isn't the starter, but I had the exact same issue as you explain. Cleaned all my terminals, Did good for a short time, then it went to sometimes it started immediately, sometimes I didn't know if it would of not. You said yourself you thought you cured it with new terminals, etc. If you have a new starter, then it probably isn't related and I won't mention it again. If you have some miles on it, I would at least consider it.

Gamble,,, Sorry,,, You could be right about the starter motor.

I have new batterys, and ever since I but them in I was thinking it seems like my starter should crank faster RPM with those new batterys.

So I was at a local diesel truck shop, and had the guy listen to it crank for his opinion. He said yeah it should crank faster,,, sounds like its drawing a ton of amps

The starter might not be spinning the motor fast enough to get proper injector pump pressure to fire it up

Good news... I have a Napa lifetime warranty on this starter (rebuilt) and found my receipt.... Called Napa and I can get a new one free !!!!

Free parts is Good !!!!  They also Have a New Starter $10 more with lifetime warranty, Its made in china, though Im told they have had good luck with them

Edited by GSP7

Hey Mopar1973Man,  could this not be a cracked diaphragm on the vp???  I had the same issue and did the relay you suggested and it fixed it.  Of course, it's only a temporary fix for a failing vp but nonetheless I've been running mine for almost 2 years with the relay.  Granted the pump is on it's last leg now and I'm about to replace it but it saved me some money in the long run.  I tried to find the write up on the wiring diagram but was unsuccessful.  Try this GSP7 and you will find out if it's your vp or not and maybe get a little more out of it before replacing it.

• Owner

Actually the hard start hot is excessive cranking pressure not cracked diaphragm. The 027 REV pumps should not have a diaphragm but a hard steel plate nothing to crack. But the problem is during cranking if the pressure is over about 12 PSI the VP44 gets over advanced and has a hard time starting. Optimal cranking pressure should be between 7-10 PSI. Really common for people with aftermarket pumps with adjustable regulators and they crank them up way too high trying to keep the WOT pressure above 14 PSI so there idle is way up at 20-22 PSI and cranking pressure ends up well above 15 PSI.

Mopar Man , good point about over LP pressure to the VP at start. Guy at Blue Chip mentioned that when I talked to him

Starter Motor !!!!...... I just replaced mine this morning. Another Napa Reman. lifetime warranty one. Napa tested my old one and it was drawing too many amps ..Bad....

The New Starter installed cranks alot faster....We will see if this cures my long crank issue I have had off and on for 2 years. Best part is it cost me $0.00.

I got the Napa Rebuilt one, Not a New made in China one. The rebuilt one is done in Mexico and I hope maybe it is a Denso core. Id rather have that than a new chinese one

Thanks Gamble for Posting about the Starter....After I thought about it , I remembered I did think that my starter seemed slow even after I just put in new Batterys

Rick

Edited by GSP7