• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transmission choice

nyd

I am removing a 460 ford in my motorhome and also installing a 5.9 12 valve in a 1960 Divco milktruck both of them are getting the 5.9 One has a 5 speed and the other has a 47re behind it I am asking what is the best transmission to use that does not need a computer.

Thanks

Which rig are you asking for the motor home or the milk truck, are you using the 5 spd in anything, I would assume the 5sp is for the milk truck.

If looking for a good mechanical auto tranny for the motorhome or either for that fact, personally I would look into a good Allison auto tranny out of a mid duty delivery van / truck or school bus that have 5.9 cummins in them.

How big is the motor home? This will help in determining tranny needs too.

I am not using 5 spd at all looking to get two automatic trans for them the motor home is an E350 460 auto in a 26' cab over not very big

the trans you mension is that something to come by pretty easaly ?

Thanks

The allisons behind the 5.9 cummins in delivery trucks school buses and medium duty trucks are everywhere. If you have old school bus dealers they almost give the things away. We have a large bus dealership in Bismarck with stores around other Midwest locations and they always have school buses for sale for around 3k complete and a lot of them are powered by cummins with Allison trannys. Worth giving them a look, they will hold up better than the automotive trannies from pickups.

I know Bluebird and Ford both run a lot of cummins, not sure of some of the other brands of buses.

http://harlowsbussales.com/inventory/

How old is the E350 Ford? Personally I would call some Ford Cummins conversion companies for an adapter kit and keep the Ford tranny, will have to get a different converter of course but it won't get any better than that, hate to say it but that has always been one of Fords strong points is their auto trannies versus all others.

As far as the milk truck project your options are numerous and depends on what and how it will be used for.