• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smoke Switch Install

BrendonTW

Hello everyone. I'm new here, I have been on cumminsforums for a while though. Thank you moparman for all of your time and dedication to putting great information on your website. I installed a smoke switch and have not had success yet. I found two different methods, tried both. Both acted funny.EDIT: I'm not seeing my signature with my truck specs in it, so here they are;1999 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins - Quadzilla Adrenaline - Straight 3" Exhaust - AFE Stage II Intake - Silencer Ring MIAMy MAP sensor / ECM / Adrenaline lead adapter has a total of 4 wires;Light blue (signal) - from adrenaline lead connector to MAP sensor connectorDark blue (signal) - from adrenaline lead connector to ECM connectorRed (5 volt) - splits in middle and sends one to MAP connector and one to ECM connectorBlack - Loops the ground only from MAP to ECM connectors, doesn't have a send coming from the Adrenaline leadTwo tutorials said to tap into the signal wire and the 5 volt wire. I tapped the light blue (MAP side) signal wire, and then I tapped the red (hot) wire on the ECM side. When I did this and attempted the switch, I didn't really get any results. My question about this method is did I tap the wrong signal wire? Should I have tapped the one on the ECM side, or did I tap the correct one? And also, should I have tapped the 5 volt wire before it split into ECM+MAP rather than just tapping the MAP side?So since I didn't get anything out of the above method, I tried one following the diagram on Mopar1973Man's website. He did his with an Edge box, but it's all the same wiring, so I thought it might work. This method has me put the switch IN LINE on the MAP sensor side signal wire, and that's it. No tapping, just putting the switch inline. I did this and when I turn the switch on (for normal operations, no smoke) it works like normal. When I turn the switch OFF (for smoke), it just acts like my Adrenaline box isn't there. My truck runs like it did when it was stock. Turbo still acts the same and everything. Maybe this method just won't work for the Quadzilla.Any ideas on what I should try next?

Edited by BrendonTW
Specs

• Owner

It should be the signal lead from the MAP sensor NOT the ECM. Then btidge the the +5V to the signal to the MAP sensor. When testing the wire with the key on you should see +5V on both signal and +5V leads at the MAP sensor. Your Quadzilla should show MAX boost on the gauge if wired right... Just remember not you use this in public... :smart:

Hello everyone. I'm new here, I have been on cumminsforums for a while though. Thank you moparman for all of your time and dedication to putting great information on your website. I installed a smoke switch and have not had success yet. I found two different methods, tried both. Both acted funny. EDIT: I'm not seeing my signature with my truck specs in it, so here they are; 1999 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins - Quadzilla Adrenaline - Straight 3" Exhaust - AFE Stage II Intake - Silencer Ring MIA My MAP sensor / ECM / Adrenaline lead adapter has a total of 4 wires; Light blue (signal) - from adrenaline lead connector to MAP sensor connector Dark blue (signal) - from adrenaline lead connector to ECM connector Red (5 volt) - splits in middle and sends one to MAP connector and one to ECM connector Black - Loops the ground only from MAP to ECM connectors, doesn't have a send coming from the Adrenaline lead Two tutorials said to tap into the signal wire and the 5 volt wire. I tapped the light blue (MAP side) signal wire, and then I tapped the red (hot) wire on the ECM side. When I did this and attempted the switch, I didn't really get any results. My question about this method is did I tap the wrong signal wire? Should I have tapped the one on the ECM side, or did I tap the correct one? And also, should I have tapped the 5 volt wire before it split into ECM+MAP rather than just tapping the MAP side? So since I didn't get anything out of the above method, I tried one following the diagram on Mopar1973Man's website. He did his with an Edge box, but it's all the same wiring, so I thought it might work. This method has me put the switch IN LINE on the MAP sensor side signal wire, and that's it. No tapping, just putting the switch inline. I did this and when I turn the switch on (for normal operations, no smoke) it works like normal. When I turn the switch OFF (for smoke), it just acts like my Adrenaline box isn't there. My truck runs like it did when it was stock. Turbo still acts the same and everything. Maybe this method just won't work for the Quadzilla. Any ideas on what I should try next?

I really dont want to be the knob of this web site.This site helps people keep there diesels running.It also educates.But this serves no purpose ! I wish the directions for all smoke switches included the wire that pluges into the sphincter of the driver.What are you going to do with this? It is people like you who are going to end this sport.Do you want every town in the usa to hate diesels?Hope you never smoke out my grandma just to be cool in front of your little friends.And mopar1973man Why are you of all people helping? Oh yes, you own this place.Why are you not chewing him out? you know better.Is it just because you have the answer for his question?I am glad he diddnt ask on how to make a thermonuclear bomb.But if he did, would you tell him not to use in public?Dont get me wrong i am having a good day.This foolishness should stop.http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69096&highlight=smoke+switch Edited by dually

• Owner

Well... sorry I stir the pot in the wrong way... Like Myself I tried the switch idea but just play with the idea... I did find out it was adverse effects like retarded timing, low power, lowered MPG's. but it did learn a few things from the switch on functions of the engine (not the place to high jack a thread). But I'm going to assume the owner is smart and isn't fogging out neighborhood. As for me I found that once people found the smoke switch in your truck they teasted you to death because you didn't have enough ball to actually smoke and you had use a smoke switch to build smoke... So it comes right back to reality... If you want smoke built for power and smoke will come... I've no longer got a smoke switch... But with a Edge Comp on 5x5 and RV275 injectors and a heavy foot I can darken the highway. But relizing I'm after MPG's I normally rather clean looking... Sorry Dually for upsetting the crowd... I figure he would learn how to do it somehere sooner or later but I knew people like yourself would steer him away from it...

I really dont want to be the knob of this web site.This site helps people keep there diesels running.It also educates.But this serves no purpose ! I wish the directions for all smoke switches included the wire that pluges into the sphincter of the driver.What are you going to do with this? It is people like you who are going to end this sport.Do you want every town in the usa to hate diesels?Hope you never smoke out my grandma just to be cool in front of your little friends.And mopar1973man Why are you of all people helping? Oh yes, you own this place.Why are you not chewing him out? you know better.Is it just because you have the answer for his question?I am glad he diddnt ask on how to make a thermonuclear bomb.But if he did, would you tell him not to use in public?Dont get me wrong i am having a good day.This foolishness should stop.

dually....i would like to remind you that its not your truck. no one told you "people that have bigger turbos should dump the exhaust directly into the sphincter of the driver". if he wants tickets/break his truck......who cares(him and thats about it). mopar1973man had pertinet information for that guy's problem. i would hope that if someone on this site had the answer to one of my problems, they wouldn't keep it from me, for fear of me ruining some sport. you say you dont want to be the knob. then don't. opinions are like excuses, and there is a section for that. its called "General Conversations" not trying to beat you up.....but this is the kinda of none help responses you get at other forums Edited by guesswho512

I can see your point Guesswho512.There is a difference with building a hot rod dd like me and doing something to your truck that kills the diesel community.I will just sit in the corner and watch.If in 2 or 3 years there is smoke laws in every state i wont say a word.I diddnt mean to upset the ballance of this site.Knowledge is power.

I really dont want to be the knob of this web site.This site helps people keep there diesels running.It also educates.But this serves no purpose ! I wish the directions for all smoke switches included the wire that pluges into the sphincter of the driver.What are you going to do with this? It is people like you who are going to end this sport.Do you want every town in the usa to hate diesels?Hope you never smoke out my grandma just to be cool in front of your little friends.And mopar1973man Why are you of all people helping? Oh yes, you own this place.Why are you not chewing him out? you know better.Is it just because you have the answer for his question?I am glad he diddnt ask on how to make a thermonuclear bomb.But if he did, would you tell him not to use in public?Dont get me wrong i am having a good day.This foolishness should stop.http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69096&highlight=smoke+switch

Let me add my humble 2 cents worth to dually's. Smoke switches are a REAL BAD idea. Not in and of the switch itself but because of so many immature, selfish, ignorant, and abusive jerks who abuse them and use them to harass and irritate people. Not saying you are one of those. Hopefully you will use yours OFF ROAD and away from folks who object or don't know you. The JERKS who abuse their smoke switches WILL in the long run RUIN diesel truck ownership for everyone else by triggering much more stringent emissions inspections as well as the typical NANNY STATE over reaction with more STUPID and restrictive laws as well as empowering our already militarized, radical, aggressive, neo-terrorist law enforcement officers to even further abuse and misuse their immoral and unconstitutional so called "law enforcement powers". Eventually, so much as a small puff of smoke between shifts will result is an onerous and outrageous ticket and expensive inspection. With great freedom comes great responsibility. I GREATLY love and enjoy what little freedom we have left. Guard it preciously and exercise the great responsibility that comes with the temptations and wide latitude of freedom. Think about what your actions cause for the rest of us. A great example is the flood of "NO JAKE BRAKE" signs going up across the country because of some brain dead idiots who are incapable of thought and responsibility. Gun control is another.