• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz Filter being removed.

I added a centrifugal oil filter for my 2002 truck.  Very happy with it!  I did a 4,000 mile trip - and on return, measured the amount of 'debris' it captured in that 'short' distance.  The debris weighed about 0.8 oz....Realistically - the spinner doesn't need to be removed and cleaned frequently...I figure I might do it every 12K to 15K miles, but I could probably extend it to 20K to 25K, based on the amount it will capture/hold.  These spinners are rated as excellent for removing particles down to 1 micron....and once installed...no cost to buy replacement filters. 

I bought a Spinner II (before I found a lower cost unit ..).
I found some 3/16" plate steel (about 3" wide, 13" long) - and I shaped it into a "lazy s" by using a hydraulic press, blocks, curved pieces, etc., until the top piece curved along the alternator bracket, and the lower piece was horizontal. I put a 1/4" aluminum plate on top ...drilled 4 mounting holes, drilled a larger hole for the drain - including a 1" NPT threading. Install a 1" NPT x 1" barb fitting.

Use 1" stiff hose for the drain line, good for 300 psi and 300 deg. (IIRC). About 3 ft. long. At the lower end - a 7/8" Block Oil Drain fitting to go into the block just above the oil pan and just behind the engine mount. (BOD from Vulcan, about $10.)

For the oil feed to the spinner, use suitable high pressure, high temp oil line to go from the spare oil port next to the oil line going to the turbo.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

I added a centrifugal oil filter for my 2002 truck.  Very happy with it!  I did a 4,000 mile trip - and on return, measured the amount of 'debris' it captured in that 'short' distance.  The debris weighed about 0.8 oz....Realistically - the spinner doesn't need to be removed and cleaned frequently...I figure I might do it every 12K to 15K miles, but I could probably extend it to 20K to 25K, based on the amount it will capture/hold.  These spinners are rated as excellent for removing particles down to 1 micron....and once installed...no cost to buy replacement filters. 

I bought a Spinner II (before I found a lower cost unit ..).

I found some 3/16" plate steel (about 3" wide, 13" long) - and I shaped it into a "lazy s" by using a hydraulic press, blocks, curved pieces, etc., until the top piece curved along the alternator bracket, and the lower piece was horizontal. I put a 1/4" aluminum plate on top ...drilled 4 mounting holes, drilled a larger hole for the drain - including a 1" NPT threading. Install a 1" NPT x 1" barb fitting.

Use 1" stiff hose for the drain line, good for 300 psi and 300 deg. (IIRC). About 3 ft. long. At the lower end - a 7/8" Block Oil Drain fitting to go into the block just above the oil pan and just behind the engine mount. (BOD from Vulcan, about $10.)

For the oil feed to the spinner, use suitable high pressure, high temp oil line to go from the spare oil port next to the oil line going to the turbo.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:piwwp:

Gotta see some pics of how you plumbed yours in.  The Fleetguard centrifugal oil filter is about the size of a medium watermelon, so finding a mounting location will be "interesting".  :thumb1:

• Like 1

Per the request....

One photo shows the installation of the spinner - mounted to the top of the alternator mounting plate.

A second photo shows the drain line to the unused 'boss' (that has a knock out plug in it..) that is similar to the turbo drain line boss.  (Note - the 12 valve engines don't have a second boss available.)

Then - the spinner section prior to scraping the contaminants out...after driving 4K miles.

The final photo shows the crud scraped into a coffee filter for weighing.

A "DIY" project that is reasonable costs.  NOTE - if you wait a day before pulling the spinner off to clean....there is much less mess to work with than a Frantz filter  (and I have them and use them also...so I know of what I speak!).

Feel free to PM me if there are any questions.

post-981-0-56228900-1440799578_thumb.jpg

post-981-0-46251500-1440799588_thumb.jpg

post-981-0-49865000-1440799600_thumb.jpg

post-981-0-37961500-1440799610_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Fleetguard variant has a 30 micron absolute rating and if I remember the bypass portion is either 3 or 5 micron.

I will double check the info for the Baldwin but I believe it's absolute micron rating is 20 and the bypass is 5 micron. I've got tech specs on the Baldwin on my laptop I will double check tomorrow and let yall know.

So guys I've got an update the Baldwin BD7317 media holds 13.3 grams and the full flow is 20 micron the bypass portion is 5 micron. Local Cummins shop uses the Fleetguard version with regularity for on and off highway applications.

I spoke with the Baldwin reps and an engineer and the Baldwin BD7317 has a greater flow capability than the Fleetguard filter.

20 micron 98.6% and 5 micron at 50%. My oil temps and pressure are the same as the LF16035 when using the Baldwin BD7317. When using the Fleetguard LF9028 my temps are 10 degrees higher on average.

Edited by Vais01

Per the request....

One photo shows the installation of the spinner - mounted to the top of the alternator mounting plate.

A second photo shows the drain line to the unused 'boss' (that has a knock out plug in it..) that is similar to the turbo drain line boss.  (Note - the 12 valve engines don't have a second boss available.)

Then - the spinner section prior to scraping the contaminants out...after driving 4K miles.

The final photo shows the crud scraped into a coffee filter for weighing.

A "DIY" project that is reasonable costs.  NOTE - if you wait a day before pulling the spinner off to clean....there is much less mess to work with than a Frantz filter  (and I have them and use them also...so I know of what I speak!).

Feel free to PM me if there are any questions.

I like!  I never considered using the alternator bracket as a mount.  Does it get much vibration in this location?  Nice installation!  :thumb1:

So guys I've got an update the Baldwin BD7317 media holds 13.3 grams and the full flow is 20 micron the bypass portion is 5 micron. Local Cummins shop uses the Fleetguard version with regularity for on and off highway applications.

I spoke with the Baldwin reps and an engineer and the Baldwin BD7317 has a greater flow capability than the Fleetguard filter.

20 micron 98.6% and 5 micron at 50%. My oil temps and pressure are the same as the LF16035 when using the Baldwin BD7317. When using the Fleetguard LF9028 my temps are 10 degrees higher on average.

These are the filters I have been using on our trucks for a few years now.  No problems with them.  I buy mine by the case from BFwebexpress.com

These are the filters I have been using on our trucks for a few years now. No problems with them. I buy mine by the case from BFwebexpress.com

I get them at a local Grainger. It's about the same price online. These filters and Rotella T6 have allowed me to go 10,000 miles before an oil change. I used oil analysis to help get me that information.

I like!  I never considered using the alternator bracket as a mount.  Does it get much vibration in this location?  Nice installation!  :thumb1:

No noticed problems with vibration, or anything else.  It works fine at that location....and you can see the results (the photos showing the crud being cleaned out).  And the claim is that the centrifugal filter can pull out finer particles than most any other bypass filter!  

The 's-curve' shape was to get the top below a level that might interfere with the closed hood.  I probably have a few inches to spare....but it tucks the unit down nicely!