• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

48RE auto trans. in 04.5 ; time for service/refresh, advice?

:tongue:  check out the classifieds! one just for you!

yer smarte chust mite tare yer truk up, ya kno......

His is for 2nd gen, I don't bother with cheap parts like that, when I go ahead with something I do it up right the first time.

Lucky for you I understand that Minnesota scandinavian slang being next door to them and having a large Scandinavian population in our state as well. :tongue:  I am of dutch and german heritage but consider myself bilingual since I can actually understand that other language lol.

On transgo, my local shop said he put these in trucks, i expect this to be cheaper then a 'new' valve body... could you give a bit more insite on this??

Guys put Transgo kits in because they don't know how to build valve bodies. I see this all the time from 'transmission shop builders'. They 're-kit' the transmission and put a Transgo kit in  it. They generally don't really even know what the stuff they are putting in even does...or why. If they did, they often wouldn't put it in there. Plus, there are a ton of mods to make in the valve body that a "shift kit' (Transgo or otherwise) will not address.

But, no matter... I hope it all goes well for you and you enjoy your setup!

• Like 2

Guys put Transgo kits in because they don't know how to build valve bodies. I see this all the time from 'transmission shop builders'. They 're-kit' the transmission and put a Transgo kit in  it. They generally don't really even know what the stuff they are putting in even does...or why. If they did, they often wouldn't put it in there. Plus, there are a ton of mods to make in the valve body that a "shift kit' (Transgo or otherwise) will not address.

THANK-YOU!  :)

Guys put Transgo kits in because they don't know how to build valve bodies. I see this all the time from 'transmission shop builders'. They 're-kit' the transmission and put a Transgo kit in it. They generally don't really even know what the stuff they are putting in even does...or why. If they did, they often wouldn't put it in there. Plus, there are a ton of mods to make in the valve body that a "shift kit' (Transgo or otherwise) will not address.

I know you probably don't play favorites, but any suggestions for a VB? Most of the bigger names in the game pretty good? I'm trying to decide who to give all my money to.

I like good performance based tranny shops, they usually have the ability and know how of what and how to modify the VB's. its the daily in and out tranny shops that just throw parts at them and kick them out the door.

Good tranny shops will not sell parts without knowing what you actually need, they custom tune it for your specific HP/TQ and use intended, if they don't ask those questions up front and just tell you they will install X kit, turn and walk away and find a quality trans build shop , not a volume rebuilder facility.

I recently went through this with my 2010 Hemi. Then he saw the Bully Dog GT after the fact and was PO'ed to say the least I didn't tell him up front I had it even though I told them up front my use, I got lucky as the BD doesn't add much for power which after explaining it to him he was then alright with it. I had it in the pickup storage box but was not using it yet when the tranny failed. He had the tranny built and tuned to handle more than what the BD provides anyhow.

Yes, the transmission internals and, most importantly, the valve body MUST be built and calibrated for the application at hand.

I see you have Washington set as location, where abouts? I have am 47re that may need attn soon. and have been looking for a shop that knows what they are does and not just throwing parts at something that is not needed. she still shift good, and pulls like a maul when needed. i would like to fine tune the shift patterns and TC lockup parameters.

I am still kicking around the idea of just converting to manual tho.