• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

TURBO!

I am chewing the treads for info on turbos.... my cr has a healthy he351cw holset that i have on my list to modify or replace.

why change? i have a j-06 Smarty thats begging to be allowed to be set on sw3 [100hp]

the exhaust housing is tight [9cm] [internal rgr]

turbo threads that end in ''gray hair'' are to common! i want to do it once! 

my goals= 100+hp tune....maybe 50hp inj. if/when i change inj.    cai    exh.    fass lift pump    more????exh. manifold?    cam???? :)  you get the idea

mostly empty driving   low elevation    some hills    some towing    :popcorn:

Edited by organicfarmer

I rarely took it off level 3 on my 05 bone stock no gauges except when I was going to tow heavy like over 10K then I would go to level 2 that was about it.

Why spend money you don't need to. :think:

Here is an add on my local classified site for a CR turbo and ATS manifold.

http://www.bismanonline.com/williston_nd/cummins_turbo_with_manifold

This turbo. Do not know a thing about them or how much power it will support just passing on what is in the add posted above.

http://www.dfi-performance.com/borg-warner-63-68-t4-177283/

Were I looking for more turbo;  I'd look real serious into a set of "towing twins".  You get the quick response of the smaller turbo, followed by the mega-boost once the bigger one once it lights.  Down side being that it's a fair bit more $$$$$.

IMHO, the stock turbo on the 3rd gen 5.9's is a good turbo.  But it limited in its versatility.

• Like 1

I rarely took it off level 3 on my 05 bone stock no gauges except when I was going to tow heavy like over 10K then I would go to level 2 that was about it.

You knew this was coming......... :)  did you ever check drive psi?

Were I looking for more turbo;  I'd look real serious into a set of "towing twins".  You get the quick response of the smaller turbo, followed by the mega-boost once the bigger one once it lights.  Down side being that it's a fair bit more $$$$$.

IMHO, the stock turbo on the 3rd gen 5.9's is a good turbo.  But it limited in its versatility.

YUP! that would be fun!   :burnout: .... but $ ROARS!!   :broke:    trying to fix my wifes head injury prob. ...lots of docs. & lots of $ [she comes first!]

I like to keep my mods. low profile......[i know its under hood] but moded stock appeals to me.....

I do like how quickly it [stock turbo] spools.

thanks for the responce!

Edited by organicfarmer

The end of last month I upgraded my turbo to a 63/67/12 HX35, to look at it it looks just like a stock turbo... be she gets up and runs good. The guy that built if for me builds a 62/65 he351cw that guys are making up to 620hp out of on 3rd gens.

I've been meaning to get a post together about the things I've done to my truck lately but I just haven't taken the time to do it.  :rolleyes:

Edited by bjytech
  • Like 1

The end of last month I upgraded my turbo to a 63/67/12 HX35, to look at it it looks just like a stock turbo... be she gets up and runs good. The guy that built if for me builds a 62/65 he351cw that guys are making up to 620hp out of on 3rd gens.

I've been meaning to get a post together about the things I've done to my truck lately but I just haven't taken the time to do it.  :rolleyes:

thanks!  would that be Tater built?

i would like to understand turbo specs better,.......... 62/65....62=comp. inducer?  ...65=?

THANK-YOU!

PLEASE do a thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :nono:

Edited by organicfarmer

i would like to understand turbo specs better,.......... 62/65....62=comp. inducer?  ...65=?

THANK-YOU!!

Yep, but those are useless numbers as the A/R ratio is the magic tuning number and knowing your fueling your power needs and usage to determine where the ideal power range and spooling points need to be determines the A/R ratio to help pick the proper turbo, there is quite a science to it if you look into it.

The size of the wheels is only the start then you get into the numerous wheel and housing designs for that size housing and things get deep quick.

• Like 2

Yep, but those are useless numbers as the A/R ratio is the magic tuning number and knowing your fueling your power needs and usage to determine where the ideal power range and spooling points need to be determines the A/R ratio to help pick the proper turbo, there is quite a science to it if you look into it.

The size of the wheels is only the start then you get into the numerous wheel designs for that size housing and things get deep quick.

My limited know/how [or is it, ''think-how!''] agrees with you......you didnt answer the ''65=?'' question part....             maybe you dont know... :wow:      :)

I am not sure on  the specs of the  hx35,... did he change both wheels? any machining? same housings it sounds like... i've heard of him on cf...thanks!!

[i saw you were from ohio, so i guessed TaterBuilt]

Edited by organicfarmer

Stock hx35 would be a 56/58/12, he changed both wheels, the shaft ,and it goes back together with a 360° thrust bearing. He machines them, what all machine work he does I'm not sure though.

I can spool my turbo up by about 1500-1700 RPM and it will clean up my 5x.014 injectors pretty good.

Edited by bjytech
  • Like 1

• Staff

My 0.02 is that ~375-425 rwhp is a great number. It is fast when empty and pulls a hell of a load when towing. I am ~400 rwhp and can drag 20K GCW up a 7% grade, up to 7K feet, at 55 in 5th... so I am not sure more power is needed. 

So that being said I think that the OEM turbo has the compressor capable of that but is lacking on the exhaust side and would consider a modded HE351 on the turbine side only. Why increase both compressor and turbine when you don't have to... it also means more air thru both and you are back to having drive pressure issues as you can only open the housing so much. 

The modded HE351 on my dad's 06 is an awesome towing turbo, thou it doesn't have a DP gauge. It run less boost and lower EGT's across the board which means the restriction in the turbine has been greatly reduced since the compressor section is the same. More air and less restriction is good!! My GT3782R does better between 80-100% load, and I have about 50 more rwhp, but his does better at lower loads rpms. 

So that being said I would highly suggest the modded HE351, modded/rebuilt, by Turbo Re-Source and when you get 50hp injectors I also suggest UDC to really dial them in for towing. There isn't a box tune out there that gives you the proper fuel/timing for towing with larger injectors. 

As far as the Tater stuff he has a good name for street/strip but he is still experimenting with his towing setups (last I heard) and it's a different breed of need. I know a guy who has been thru 2 or 3 different Tater combos trying to find one that works for towing. Tater seems like a good guy, but the modded HE351 on the turbine side has shown more promise. 

Having used SW1 and SW2 with gauges on my 05 when the motor was stock I would not have towed with either at any elevation above 2500' without gauges. I know what MADS claims and I don't think they did much testing at elevation. 

Towing 5K on SW2 at 4K feet on a 95° day could fairly easily get the EGTs out of control (1400°+) with pedal to spare. 

• Like 1

Since I now have an egt display I will be pulling my first load since the touch install Friday if things work out, won't be a heavy load, some bulky light scrap on my gooseneck to the recycling center, guessing it will be in the 18K lb range, pickup and trailer unloaded are about 14K. Will have the touch on level 3.