• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1998 Dodge Ram Trailer Brake wiring harness

Information Please,

Does anyone know if the 1998 Dodge Ram/Cummins Dash light pull switch has a removable trailer wiring harness. Is the trailer wiring harness plug and play. Mine was altered by previous owner. If so can the oem trailer wiring harness be purchased and where?

Thank you, Tom. 

I doubt you really want to run a new stretch of wire from the front of the truck.  The closest plug for the bed wiring is under the drivers front tire. to my knowledge that is the only "plug and play" plug that the entire bed wiring goes to.

Dodge wiring color CIRCUIT FUNCTION 

1 12 gauge black GROUND 
2 12 gauge light blue TRAILER ELECTRIC BRAKE OUTPUT 
3 12 gauge black/orange TAIL LIGHT (Trailer Tow Relay in PDC
4 12 gauge Red/Tan* FUSED B(+) (40A, Always Hot, F8 in PDC
5 16 gauge dark green/red LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL 
6 16 gauge brown/pink RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL 
7 16 gauge violet/black BACK-UP LAMP

qu363_800.jpg

I am talking about the wiring harness from the oem push/pull light switch installed in the dash to the aftermarket trailer brake control box.

There should be a oem harness hanging from the oem  light switch that will plug into the aftermarket trailer brake harness, like plug and play.

Is it possible that the 98 Ram 2500 did not have the oem harness when built? I do know on my 98 there are wires hanging down and hand wired and wrapped with black tape and my trailer brakes do not work properly. If there is such a harness available I would happily buy it to save the wiring job.

I thank you members for helping me solve this mess. I did not do it but I have to fix it but I refuse to blame George Bush.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but why would a harness run from headlight switch to a aftermarket trailer brake box...its activated by the brake light switch... don't make sense :think:  :think:   maybe I'm missing something

On my 98 the trailer wiring is made into the harness and just has a connector in the back about dead center built into the harness that goes between the tail lights. All I had to do was by the trailer plug with a short harness for a dodge that reaches to the back. If you use there set up you can even get a brake controller that plugs in under the dash and not have to tap into any wires or run any. As I recall the plug and brake controller can be ordered at U-Haul or NAPA.