• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Odd Little Losing Prime Issue

2000 with Raptor 150, Edge JWA, full 1/2" line from tank to VP, S&B intake.

After sitting, she cranks and cranks (5-12 seconds) before starting, and then billows white smoke.  I haven't noticed missing coolant so I don't think I'm losing compression via a bad headgasket.  Had a bad starter that I replaced and oddly enough a bad vp ground at the same time but this didn't fix the issue.

So this leads me to believe I'm losing prime since vp issues typically manifest when hot, not when cold.

But my lift pump is tied into a toggle switch on the dash.  I can turn on the pump and instantly be at 20 psi right before the vp, so even if I had a small leak, i'd push any air out of the system by turning on the pump.

This leads me to think that if prime is in fact the issue, its after VP, maybe crossover tube o rings.  Had the air bled professionally in may after the transmission guy ran her dry on accident and the problem didn't surface until recently.

Planning on going into 7x10.5 or so ducky injectors, should I just do that now and kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Those are pretty big injectors for the turbos you are looking at. I'm not sure if the trans will hold the power either....

But as for the prime issue, you should check the banjo bolt on the back of the head and maybe throw some new washers on it. Another common place for air to leak is the T fitting where the VP return and return off the back of the head connect. I would look at both of those before even thinking about crossover tube O rings leaking.

Those are pretty big injectors for the turbos you are looking at. I'm not sure if the trans will hold the power either....

But as for the prime issue, you should check the banjo bolt on the back of the head and maybe throw some new washers on it. Another common place for air to leak is the T fitting where the VP return and return off the back of the head connect. I would look at both of those before even thinking about crossover tube O rings leaking.

Trans is warrantied to 450 hp or so, that was before I added billet anchors and better bands... not that those small upgrades will make it or break it lol.  But yeah, I'm concerned she'll be pretty smoky if I do the injectors without a real turbo on there.  I don't mind a puff of smoke or so, but I'm not exactly looking to black out an intersection when I get on it.  And the banjo bolt on the back of the head links to the vp return?  Ok, good info, thank you.

Trans is warrantied to 450 hp or so, that was before I added billet anchors and better bands... not that those small upgrades will make it or break it lol.  But yeah, I'm concerned she'll be pretty smoky if I do the injectors without a real turbo on there.  I don't mind a puff of smoke or so, but I'm not exactly looking to black out an intersection when I get on it.  And the banjo bolt on the back of the head links to the vp return?  Ok, good info, thank you.

Just for reference I made over 500hp with 125hp sticks. I don't think you need to go all the way up to 150's. As for the smoke, it's all about how you drive it. A larger turbo is going to lag more and have more smoke on the bottom end if you don't ease into it. A small turbo runs out of air.... gotta size everything right to run clean and powerful.

Just for reference I made over 500hp with 125hp sticks. I don't think you need to go all the way up to 150's. As for the smoke, it's all about how you drive it. A larger turbo is going to lag more and have more smoke on the bottom end if you don't ease into it. A small turbo runs out of air.... gotta size everything right to run clean and powerful.

125s are probably more my speed then.  Not going for big numbers really, just want her to be peppy.  Not looking for huge boost cause headstuds are out of my price range.  Maybe 125s and a decent turbo that can supply nice cfm without starting to warp things.