• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball joint time

Hi all! It's soon ball joint time for me. In my research some say you need a $300+ tool set to do them. If that's the case I might as well pay a shop to do it but I like to do my own work. I've never done these but I did on my F2504x4 and I remember the loaner tool from Advance didn't have big enough parts to handle a larger joint like that. I have access to an arbor press and can make cups and stuff in the machine shop. Do I really need a ball joint press? Can't I just take the nuts off and hammer the joint loose from the axle and then take the whole knuckle and put it in an arbor press? Is there a write-up anywhere on this or for those familiar can you give me a step by step or any tips like which to take out and put in first? Top or bottom. That way I won't spend so much time in trail and error. I'm not worried about getting the unit bearing and axle out, been there too many times, just the ball joint part. Thanks!

I can offer you this. I did mine with the same set as shown, but I dont remember having angled spacer so some beating was required for removal of the lowers as I recall. 

attachicon.gifReplacing_Ball_Joints.pdf

Also the press kit came from Advance Auto and I could have returned but kept it for future use. $150

I have to add mine is an 02 and I believe differs from your 99 as far as removing some of the parts, rotor,ect.

Thanks Dripley! That gives me an idea, only these are upside down compared to my 99. Mine will stay in the knuckle so I should be able to put the whole knuckle in the arbor press. I may just try a Harbor Freight set. It had many good reviews including a few from guys who used it on F250's which I think are similar to ours in size. Any 99 guys have any tips?

Edited by dave110

I can offer you this. I did mine with the same set as shown, but I dont remember having angled spacer so some beating was required for removal of the lowers as I recall. 

attachicon.gifReplacing_Ball_Joints.pdf

Also the press kit came from Advance Auto and I could have returned but kept it for future use. $150

great write up. Question when reinstalling axle nut what torque did you use?

great write up. Question when reinstalling axle nut what torque did you use?

I cant take credit for the write up, I stumbled across it somewhere but don't remember where. As far as the torque I would look it up in the FSM or a Haynes manual or such. Don't have either with me at the moment.

I need Michael to go through my front end. I'll bet everything is toast.

If it is all OE it probably all needs replacing. It is not difficult just a little time consuming. All pretty much bolt on and off. Some beating is required and decent pullers help.