• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need to Test Alt.

I may not explain this good but here goes. I need to test the alt for feed back, my apps or something is causing it to feel like its running out of fuel. It doesn't cut out hard, it has that running out of fuel feel to it. The more you mash the pedal no help its dead, let it all the way up then start back into it and it will either accelerate or you have to let it up again then it will run ok. It may run all day and never do it again or it has done it 1/2 dozen times. No codes, well it has a 1693 but nothing in there. I have put three diff. apps on and they all do the same.

Fuel filters are clean, fuel pressure is 15. I just cant find the write up.

Thanks

• Staff

Bad grounding of the alternator causes additional AC noise and so does bad grounding to the engine, truck frame and truck body from the batteries. On mine I found that the painted alternator mounting bracket was causing a poor ground to the engine block so I ran an added ground from the alternator housing to the battery. To check for a poor connection in a ground you use the OHM meter. Batteries should be disconnected because any voltage being sent thru the wiring during a test will damage the volt meter on the OHM setting.

On the volt meter set for OHM's, take the two probes and touch them together to learn what it should read with a good clean connection. Should say Zero OHMS on good clean contacts and good clean grounding paths in the wiring.

Very basic stuff here but it's difficult for some like me who have to rethink the basics again and again to test things properly.

• Like 1

Another note that is commonly missed. An alternator may read within spec at idle, but be out at RPM.  Either use the Max function on your meter or have a friend (I have no friends) sit inside and slowly rev up (I went to 2800ish) and then back down to idle.  

Other factors can be temperature and load.  When it is super hot out and you're asking the alternator to power lights, ac, radio, inverter, etc. it will get WAY hotter than normal.  

If you have a lousy ground, or a a bad lead going to the battery (the factory one is quite small for trucks with extra electrical demands) you can also build extra heat in the alternator.  

Ok I got my other volt meter and set it at 4 volts acv and ,o30. I also ran the heck out of her today, I pulled 34k with the ac on and lights on for about 15 miles. I mean I had my foot in it 21lbs boost all most all the way 1-1100 egt and she's stock. And it never missed a lick ran good. Go figure