• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Misery loves company. 365 days of model a ford

CSM

So, I love old cars.  I ran across the suit site 365daysofa.com where a guy documents his year of using a Ford Model A as his only source of transportation.  

I may be getting old,  in my early 30s, haha.   But I got really tired of driving my 72 Challenger daily a few years back... granted,  the challenger didn't have a heater, air, or stereo at the time.  Nevertheless,  I love driving modern cars.

I thought I learned my lesson in daily driving the hotel rod e body,  but I have never driven an old 20s or 30s flat head daily.  I kinda want to check it of my automotive "bucket list" someday.  

Anybody have much experience with these ancient cars... or have similar poor judgement? 

As a kid I learned to drive flatheads. The first I remember was a early 50s Jeep pickup. I think I was 5. Nearly every chance us kids got we drove something. Usually late 40s Ford or International pkps. Also had a late 40s Jeep CJ2A. My Dad was foreman on a farm/ranch. Also drove old open tractors quite a bit. Not as old as what your talking about. My dad had a 37 Ford pkp that he put an 85 hp flathead and hydraulic brakes into(originally had cable brakes). I still have the 37, hope to restore someday. Sorry to go so long, just reminiscing....

• Like 2

That cool to hear of old history on vehicles and where we came from in technology. Cable brakes? Wow! Now look at today with computerized ABS brakes.

That is my interest in this... Some day I want to get an old JD 2cyl tractor and an old 4-6 cyl Dodge Brothers or Ford to learn about the old school.  Cable brakes, heater and windshield wiper optional, etc. 

A buddy and me had a 48 oldsmobile coupe with a flat head inline 8 cylinder back in high school. the head on that motor looked like a picnic table with spark plugs sticking out of it. The thing was huge. We had a lot fun in it but it was way beyond anything I knew about cars at the time. My buddy decided to clean the carb one and I walked in as he turned it over and something fell out of it. I was concerned about what where the part went back in and he replied "In this box where everything else that fell out of it". And that my friends was the last time it drove.

• Like 1