• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Setting HX35 wastegate actuator

My wastegate actuator quit working so I ordered up another one on Ebay. With the turbo off the truck I've been playing around with the rod adjustment. So far I've managed to stave off boost creep until 25psi whIle still fully opening the wastegate at 33-34 psi. This is without a boost elbow.

Can anyone think of an issue with adjusting the rod this way? I wouldn't think there would be an issue as long as the wastegate fully opens at the desired psi.

27 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

As long as you have full travel from the wastegate I don't see why there would be an issue. Most just use an elbow because it's 10x easier than trying to adjust the rod. :thumbup2:

It's cake to adjust the rod with the turbo off lol. I double and triple checked the travel, all was good.

The stock actuators I tested don't allow for much adjustment.  Any tighter and it wouldn't open all the way.  That's likely why not many play with them, you should be fine.  Depending on your fueling setup, you may not need to be full open in order to wastegate the extra exhaust.

@Cowboy

I did a test drive a little whIle ago and was only able to hit 28 psi. It's been a minute since I had a working boost gauge (put one in tonight) but I used to hit about 38 psi with a blocked wastegate. I'm going to block it off tomorrow and go for a run to make sure it's actually an issue with the wastegate and not a boost leak.

Mods are:

100 plate and afc housing full foward, pre-boost set for minimal smoke and quick spooling, star wheel just touching spring, cupped washer replaced with fender washer, sock injectors, hx35, timing at 16.5, 4 1/2" downpipe to 5" exhaust and 5" stacks.

Your truck must be a 94-95?

Check for boost leaks, that's a good idea.  Anytime I have any intake plumbing apart I always check.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if that's all she has in her.

Edited by Cowboy

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

Your truck must be a 94-95?

Check for boost leaks, that's a good idea.  Anytime I have any intake plumbing apart I always check.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if that's all she has in her.

It's a 96'.

Something just hasn't felt right about the way it runs, even before I replaced the wastegate. Fuel pressure to the pump is fine, even under WOT, but it still feels like I'm not getting enough fuel. Something I had completely forgotten to check out is the fuel shutoff solenoid, which I'm going to do here in a few. My idle has dropped on it's own by a couple hundred rpm and the adjustment is tight so something funky is going on. 

Auto or manual?  You should be pushing a lot more fuel then you are then, assuming there's no major boost/exhaust leaks.  What is your fuel pressure?

I'd bet something is off with your gov springs.  You can give them an extra click or two.  Or just get a new set.  4K GSK are good bang for your buck.

With my current setup, I can barely keep boost at 35, any more fuel and it starts outflowing my oversized wastegate.

Stock 215 injectors, #10 plate in the middle, and 4k GSK. 

Edited by Cowboy

Built auto with billet triple disk converter, billet input, and VB from HTS pushing 170 psi at WOT.

Fuel pressure:

Idle: 22psi
2500 RPM (no load): 38psi
Pressure never drops below 20psi while doing a WOT run.

I don't have the funds for a 4k gsk with 60lb valve springs right now but it's next on the list.

After I check the shutoff solenoid and make sure I don't have any boost leaks I'm going to turn the governor springs up a click or two.

Checking out the boost issue turned in to a complete retune lol. I ended up tightening the governor springs 4 clicks, adjusting the boost elbow, and adjusting the star wheel. The results are 30 psi of boost and the truck pulls hard up to 2300-2400 rpm then falls off quick. Seems that's about where a stock truck defuels at, which took 4 clicks to achieve. The pump still had the safety wire on the plug so it hadn't been messed with. The truck had just under 300k on it.