• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 dakota 44re tranny problems

my son has a 99 dakota, 4x4 5.2ltr, with 44re automatic. the truck has 175,00 on the motor and the tranny has about 70,000 miles. the tranny shifts in and out of O/D every 20 seconds or so, shifting back down into 3rd and then into O/D again. the tranny temp light comes on and goes off as it shifts. in the past years i have replaced the shift solenoid, and the governor pressure solenoid. when this problem appeared i replaced the O/D solenoid and the temp sensor. they are only serviced as an assembly. i also replaced the ets (engine temp sensor) as this was the only code stored in the pcm. it currently has no codes stored, historical, or pending codes. i have no idea where to go next... any help would be appreciated. thanks G.Meyer

• Owner

Something electrically is wrong if the trans temp light is coming on during shifting. You might have to consider looking over the wiring going to the transmission. Loose connection in the transmission?

Might try unhooking the field lead and removing the alternator fuse and taking a test drive see in the shifting issues stops. If so the alternator is junk. (Excessive AC noise).