• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Snubber, needle valve, or both?

Hey guys,

So I got the new parts from Eric yesterday, and got right to work swapping things out. This is what my setup looks like

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

It isn't quite the way I wanted it, the hose is against the power steering reservoir and I didn't want that. But I may just have to live with it because I may have finally got it to stop leaking. Its SO hard to get the swivel nut to turn without the whole elbow turning. Im still not sure if I've got it or not. Basically spent all morning loosening and tightening and going for a drive over and over and over again trying to get them to seal up but they just won't. I can't believe how tight I've had to make these things! I don't get what issue is. I didn't have any trouble at all when I first go the big line kit. And the only thing thats different now is the route the hose takes. Before I had it kind of up and over the PS cap, and now its like you see in the pics. I did that because it was a pain the way it was before when flushing the PS fluid. Any advice guys? The only other thing I can think of is to take everything off and clean all the mating surfaces with scotch bright then clean everything with brake cleaner and compressed air and start all over again. 

Wait so it is NOT leaking anymore? 

If it's not leaking I'd say just leave it. Mine is really close to the top of the power steering cap as well. I just left it, I can still just barely get the cap off so it's not worth it to fool around trying to move the T. 

You really have to start with the T as counter-clockwise as possible then tighten down.

I'm not sure if it's leaking anymore or not. I'm really not happy with it though. I left the 90°s on the old hose so I think I'm going to put it back together with the old fittings and clean everything with scotch brite and see what happens. There's got to be something wrong. There's no way it's right for these to be this tight. 

I can tell you that when I was tightening down the bolt at the VP I had to get it uncomfortably tight a couple times. But mainly what I would do is leave it somewhat loose (like loose enough where it would spit fuel but enough to where I knew it'd leak) and start the truck then just tighten until it's not leaking anymore and then another little snug turn just to make sure and call it good.

What's hard is telling you how tight since everyone's idea of tight will be different. Are you running an isolator? You do have a lot of stuff going on underneath the filter. Maybe you should try re-plumbing all that. I'll run out and take a picture of my setup but obviously the less moving pieces the better. Mine current setup is literally a push lock T -> needle vavle -> femal connector -> gauge

Here's a link to my setup on my 99 as I had issues with some slight leaks and sporadic fuel pressure.

If its not leaking then leave it alone.  Looks fine. :thumbup2:  Pour some warm/hot water on everything (that isnt electrical) and let it dry.  The hot water will wash all the residual diesel off.

But then again.....I know you're going to tear it all apart. :whistle2:

It was still leaking :mad: and it was physically impossible for me to tighten the one at the vp anymore. It was so tight I almost couldn't get it off. I understand what your saying about making it tighter than you like, but believe me, this was over the top. Something was wrong. I cleaned up the ends with scotch brite and switched back to the old fittings and the original routing of the hose, I think it puts a little less tension on the fittings this way. I never had trouble with leaks till I change the angle of the hose so at this point it's worth a try anyway. I'm just waiting overnight for the 545 to dry again and then I'll be finding out tomorrow if it's fixed or not. 

I know ive got a lot going on, but I don't really see how I could simplify it. I've got the street 90°' the needle valve, the snubber, and the npt to jic. The hose goes to my isolator. All of which I need. Up to this point, none of those fittings has caused a leak, so I'm not too concerned about them. I'm just hoping brake cleaner doesn't degrade the 545 too much because I used it to clean that assembly out after taking it apart to switch back to the old tapped 90°. I blew it out with the compressor to be safe so hopefully it's ok. Than you for the suggestions!!

So what fittings are leaking then? I think I was under the impression it was leaking from multiple different spots. So that's good I was wrong! Haha

I don't thinkin ever waited the 24 hours for the 545 to dry. Don't have the patience!

I hope you get it fixed!

It's leaking from between the swivel and the body of the fitting, the 90°s at each end. And I'm normally impatient too but I'd really hate to have it leak from one of those spots right after I finally get it to stop from the swivels. 

Edited by leathermaneod

I typically throw a dab of grease/oil on JIC fittings and rarely have issues despite working with crazy old/rusted fittings at hydraulic pressures.

Yea those are harder then others to get snugged down and keep from leaking. I think I just put a lot of 545 and tightend it down. I also wasn't running the same exact setup as you so who knows. :shrug:

Are you keeping the tapped 90* at the vp just for testing pressures?

Well after spending quite a bit more time with it again today, I think I may have got the leak stopped. We'll see after I drive it to work tomorrow. I started with the old JIC 90*'s and adapters. Couldn't get the one at the FF housing to stop leaking so I switched back to a new adapter after cleaning it with scotch brite. Here is what the one I took out looked like

IMG_0758_zpsnwwyyc4v.jpg

IMG_0757_zpssrzehrxo.jpg

pretty obvious why I wouldn't seal up. You can see sections where it didn't press together like it should have. The question is why not? There is no way these things should have to be this tight and still not be compressing together. The other thing I think is odd about those, shouldn't the surfaces be touching more than just a tiny strip like that? Is there any chance one of these is a 37* and one is a 45*?? Also, anyone ever seen a brass pushlok tapped 90*. Thats what I really need lol. I'm planning to call Eric again tomorrow and see what he thinks about this as well as if he can get brass versions of these fitting. 

Definitely looks like you had a bad jic there. Either came like that or somehow you have the strength of Thor and smashed it down!! :stuned:

But seriously, like you said, if it were off as much as you stated that would definitely effect its ability to deal properly. Yours almost looks scored or just a small casting defect. Here's mine for comparison.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Either way I'd be interested to hear what Eric has to say about brass jic fitting in place of the steel.

All of these fittings came from vulcan. The exact ones you posted the link for. They sealed up perfectly fine back in november when I installed the big line kit for the first time. I take it apart to add a needle valve and nothing will seal back up without a huge fight. Thats why I want a brass version lol. Ive never had trouble like this with any of the other jic fittings on my truck, and some of them have been apart quite a few times. I'm really starting to wonder if the new set Eric sent me are bad too. This is how I left things today, back to the original routing of the hose....IMG_0766_zpszpvz1qwm.jpg

3 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Definitely looks like you had a bad jic there. Either came like that or somehow you have the strength of Thor and smashed it down!! :stuned:

But seriously, like you said, if it were off as much as you stated that would definitely effect its ability to deal properly. Yours almost looks scored or just a small casting defect. Here's mine for comparison.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Either way I'd be interested to hear what Eric has to say about brass jic fitting in place of the steel.

Mine weren't off and on that much though...They have been now, but they weren't before when they first started leaking....and I'm sure I'm not stronger than you guys, but I told you I was making them insanely tight trying to stop the leaks...

The previous pics were of one of my original fittings, these are from the new ones Eric sent me on friday. They aren't quite as horrible, but they still have a defined line where they met. I'm starting to wonder if he has a bad lot or something. 

IMG_0775_zpszjkppfx3.jpg

IMG_0774_zpsla3i04qy.jpg

IMG_0773_zpsm73cu0b7.jpg

Edited by leathermaneod

Hmm definitely interesting. The only knowledge of JIC fittings I have are from the fuel systems on these trucks. I'd be interested to hear if these are meant to be a one time use application? If the steel (these are steel right?!) would be better vs brass? Is it even possible to bend or put some sort of impression into a JIC fitting by too much force or if it was off center a bit?

Edited by notlimah

I just don't know what to do at this point. Even if they are sealed up for now, its going to have to come off at least the VP end in the near future when I take my vac pump off to re seal it....and they who knows if ill ever get it to stop again. I mean these shouldn't be this hard right??? They should just seal like all the other ones on my truck do!

1 minute ago, notlimah said:

Hmm definitely interesting. The only knowledge of JIC fittings I have are from the fuel systems on these trucks. I'd be interested to hear if these are meant to be a one time use application? If the steel (these are steel right?!) would be better vs brass? Is it even possible to bend or put some sort of impression into a JIC fitting by too much force or if it was off center a bit?

I don't know man. I'll definitely be doing my best to get the scoop from Eric tomorrow. A few things I do know, these are steel. I've taken apart and resealed brass and steel 3/8" ones countless times with absolutely now issue. Don't even have to make them that tight! This just doesn't make sense. 

Yea I'm as stumped as you man. I've done this same exact install (+\- a few pieces) and I think I may of had one random leak throughout the system. On both installs the connection at the VP did weep a bit but went away with a quick snugging up. I never had to go through to hassle you are so I feel for ya! Not sure why this is turning out to be such a beast!

Its too bad your out in NY or I'd come by and try and help! Sometimes there's only so much you can do over the web ya know?!

Yeah I know dude. I appreciate the thought anyway, and I'm glad to have you guys to talk to about this stuff anyway. Hopefully Eric will have some insight tomorrow. Its crazy how those stupid rubber lined washers seal up so easily but these darned things are such a pain! They've got to be defective, wrong angle or something! I'm no stranger to fixing leaks either. I had about this much trouble with injector lines before and I got them with the scotch brite trick and lots of patience. But this is just insane. 

Edited by leathermaneod