• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Running a bit warm

My truck runs up to about 197°-200° The first time depending on how hard I'm running it. After the thermostat opens it doesn't get as hot. But it will drop down to like 180° while just idling. Normally around 190° while cruising down the road. I have a new gates thermostat and rad cap. 

On 5/12/2016 at 9:31 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Why not do the easy thing and leave the thermostat out till the block is completely filled right to the edge of the block. Now install the thermostat and finish filling. Never have an air issue then.

When I do mine I pull one of the extra plugs on the pass side of engine to let air out.

My only suggestion is getting a 180* thermostat (If you don't have one). I have had mine for about 2 years and it runs better than 190. I also believe I increased fuel economy by about 1 mpg too. I like it and haven't seen it really go above 205* too often. 

I'd like to keep the 190 just so it stays good and hot during the winter. I'm not sure what the heck is going on with it, but now that school is over I'm going to start tearing things apart again... I'll probably pull the whole front apart, clean everything, and do the pan gasket. While I'm in there I'll replace the thermostat and see if it does any good.