• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power Steering Fluid Leak

Ok just got home and took some measurements with the temp gun. 

High pressure lines: 138°
Return line: 112°
Inside reservoir: 134°
Outside reservoir: 140°
Hydrobooster: 131°

Not sure if all those are entirely accurate, the temp gun seemed to get the highest readings on dark collored metal. So I tried to just record the highest in each location.

Those are all the max numbers I could get. And it is definitely looking like my steering box is leaking from the steering wheel shaft side. Leaves a drop or two any place I stop even for a few minutes it seems. 

Edited by leathermaneod

Well I ordered up a reman steering box from autozone for $160 plus another $160 for the core(can't see spending the money for Borgsen). I also ordered new high pressure lines because I've already got new return ones and I figured might as well do it all while I'm at it, only thing is they don't come with the metal part, just the rubber. Now I was just outside looking at things and realized my steering shaft is in really bad shape. Super loose. So I guess I'll be ordering up one of them too. They are about $150 for a Forman. Talk about jobs getting bigger on you, seems to be a regular thing for me and this truck...anybody have any tips for me on all this? I'm planning to blow out the hydrobooster and the metal lines while I have everything off just incase. Also, I have a steering brace, will I need to take that off to change the steering box? I didn't install it, PO did, that's why I'm asking....

Well in a way it's nice to know it was rebuilt by someone who knew what he was doing, now whether or not he was paying attention is debatable.

No special tools needed, though there is one that's nice to have.

It's the one that this gentleman made out of wood. http://www.dieseltrucksite.com/showthread.php?t=1116

• Owner

I've just called Nate and talked to him about the rebuilding the gear box and I'll get him through the rebuild not a problem. I just want him to call me when he does pull it apart so I can have him inspect the input shaft pin and the power valve assembly for damage before going forward.

Thanks again very much Mike. Heres my next question, any idea which of these I need?

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/power-steering-gear-seal-kit/dodge/ram-2500-3-4-ton-4wd/2001/6-cylinders-6-5-9l-turbo-diesel?filterByKeyWord=steering+gear+rebuild&fromString=search

My guess is this one, but I'm really not sure....

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/power-steering-gear-seal-kit/duralast-power-steering-gear-seal-kit/dodge/ram-2500-3-4-ton-4wd/2001/6-cylinders-6-5-9l-turbo-diesel/729936_30168_0/?checkfit=true

Its easiest for me to deal with autozone becuase that way I dont have to worry about paying for shipping, and they can usually get stuff pretty quick. So, hopefully one of those four will work...

• Owner

The second link should work fine. I was hoping to see the bearing for the output shaft I'm not finding a kit with it though. Being you got the steering brace I think your OK. We'll work together to check everything to be sure its tight. You know if I get you through this you got to do a write up on this... Right? :poke:

Great thank you! I just ordered the one in the second link and the intermediate shaft from autozone. I should be able to pick them up sometime tomorrow. That stinks about the bearing, I wasnt really sure what I was looking for. Hopefully we find good things when I tear it apart and all is good to be reused. I will have the reman box on hand though incase it cant be. Id rather not take chances on not being able to get parts with it being a holiday weekend. And yes, if you can help with with the rebuild when I get to it, I will be more than happy to do my best on a write up. It will certainly be a valuable addition to the site!

• Owner

That bearing looks like this...

pssectorbrg.jpg

As you can see it in place...

3281d1325166167-sloppy_steering_adjustme

As I told you about the 22 BB's that go back in... The picture above you can barely see the tube for the BB's. Just need to turn the piston over in the body to access the BB tube. I normally use a magnetic tip screwdriver for putting them back in or needle nose pilers.

129-0801-27-z%2Bsaginaw-steering-box%2Bt

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Oh ok. This is making way more sense now! Thanks for the pics! Btw, thought of something that will hinder my write up on this. Often when I try to upload pics from my iPhone to the site I get an error. I can't remember the number atm though. I just tried uploading ones that didn't work before and they worked fine now. Any idea what that could be about?

• Owner

Reduce your resolution. Most of the mobile issues of uploading is too high of resolution and the server runs out of memory trying to process the photo. 1024x768 works fine but like my Fuji FinePix 6 MP camera errors every time just about because of the memory problem. My old 2 MP Fuji FinePix no problem. My Cellphone 6 MP camera has the same problem errors out. Now run the photo on a photo editor and upload works fine.

" Now I was just outside looking at things and realized my steering shaft is in really bad shape. Super loose. So I guess I'll be ordering up one of them too. They are about $150 for a Forman."

@leathermaneod you should also check rock auto for the steering shaft. I think it was around $75-$80? With the 5% code the have.I just installed one on my uncles '99. It was the same Dorman part# Autozone lists

• Like 1

@BBHD thanks for the heads up! Mike and I talked about that, but I'm not sure I would get it in time from them to do this weekend. How fast is shipping from them usually? How does your uncle like it btw?

Also, where do I find the 5% code?

Edited by leathermaneod

It was a nice piece. It took 3 days for him to receive it in Colorado. I understand what you mean about wanting it in hand and ready to go for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything goes

• Like 1

Well a buddy talked me into go with rock auto after all. He pointed out that the shaft is super easy to change and no big deal if I don't have it in time for this weekend. Turns out I was able to spend $20 on shipping and I still should get it on time. Thanks for the code btw. I totally forgot to use it though :-( still saved a ton of money....at least I know for next time lol 

• Like 1