• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead fuel gauge

• Owner

Here is your master ground for the computers.

As for cab grounds they are in the driver side kick panel. There is a second connection in the center of the dash too. You'll most likely have to either pull the dash to see or lay on your back and use a mirror. Still in all that ground goes to the kick panel in the end and typically most problems are at the kick panel from rusting.

image.jpgDo you guys know off hand which of the wires is the ground for the sending unit. At the top of the tank the connector has a red and two greens. I would like to jump the ground directly to the frame and see what happens, but I don't wanna do the wrong one?

Edited by Atcmcc

That is weird your wiring harness FUEL TANK MODULE (DIESEL) plug doesn't follow any of the coloring codes i got in the 01 service manual.

FUEL TANK MODULE (DIESEL) - LT GRAY 4 WAY
CAV |   CIRCUIT            | FUNCTION
1      |  - - - - - - - - - - - -|
2      | K4 20BK/LB        | SENSOR GROUND
3      | K226 20DB/WT   | FUEL LEVEL SENSOR SIGNAL
4      |  - - - - - - - - - - - -|

Now I wonder if you have the lift pump retro fit inside the fuel tank installed by Dodge dealer?

Two things. @Chris O.

one, this truck did have the retrofit but it has since been removed and replaced with a fass fuel system. Also this is a pic of the y harness coming off of the fass pump and plugs directly into the top of the tank,so that would be why it's different colors. I should have taken a pic of the harness coming directly from the truck. I will do that and post here, sorry for my oversight.

• Staff

A good volt meter can tell you which is ground, but disconnect the batteries first and set the VM to OHMs. Touch one probe to the frame and the other probe in the end of each wire. The ground will have Zero Ohms but double check too cause some OHMs can show up just from dirt on the frame etc.

PLEASE , anyone correct me If I'm wrong :think:

Oh yeah, theres another ground going from the PCM  to the firewall. I redid that one with heavy gauge marine wire. for better protection.

Edited by JAG1