• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake caliper rebuild

• Owner

Take a 2x4 and rap in a rag and now place it over the piston. This will keep the piston from getting damaged. Now use compressed air to get them up.

WARNING! If your using air pressure part(s) can fly and protect yourself properly. Watch your hand and fingers to make sure they don't get smashed!

Once the pistons are out you can remove all the seals and wash the caliper with soap and water. Blow dry with compressed air to prevent rusting. Now since all the seal are removed. The piston should fall to the bottom of the bore without PUSHING! If not light sand the piston with light sandpaper (600 grit or higher) and then try again. The piston should not hang up at all.

So now the pistons are tuned in for each bore re-assemble then and during the assembly process lube the pistons up with brake fluid before assemble. At this point the piston will take more effort to push into the bore. Seat them completely to the bottom.

Now re-assmeble, mount, bleed, and seat the brake pads...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Basically take it apart clean every thing... If your using air to remove the piston make sure you put a 2x4 board in the jaw of the caliper ot protect the piston from damage. Also make sure to keep your fingers out of the way because the come out hard and fast. Be aware to protect your body from flying parts! Replace all the seal and boots... The check the pistons for fit. If the pistons will not drop into there bore to the bottom without being pushed then you need to tune the piston slightly. I use 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the pistons to fit the bores. Most of the time you find your sanding off old dried up brake fluid resdue. The re-assemble, bleed, and test drive...

I rebuilt some ONE time and then discovered that I could buy the rebuilt ones for only a little more than the kit and save myself a lot of time and frustration. I like to do my own work but I also like to save a lot of time... I already have a full time job.

• Owner

Sounds easy enough. Are they special seals or a kit you can buy or standard o-rings?

Dealer only parts I found out... But the O-rings are cheap at like $1.20 a piece and pistons are $12 bucks... The best part is I rubuilt all four wheels and only spent $40 bucks...That a huge saving over buying 4 rebuilt calipers at $120 a piece with brake pads... :broke:

Alright so I went to the parts store this morning and did some pricing. A rebuild kit for them costs $22 which includes seals and new pins. I can buy a new caliper for $49 so all I have to do is swap it and bleed the brakes. This is canadian dollars so it might be different for you southerners.

• Owner

Alright so I went to the parts store this morning and did some pricing. A rebuild kit for them costs $22 which includes seals and new pins. I can buy a new caliper for $49 so all I have to do is swap it and bleed the brakes. This is canadian dollars so it might be different for you southerners.

It is different for set of two calipers (front set or rear set) is $120 to $130 a pair with pads... Local part stores didn't carry rebuild kits for the brake calipers... I was informed it was a dealer only item... :mad: So maybe I should find out who you went through...:smart: