• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AC not quite as cold

Just wanted to throw something else out there that might help others. I didn't even think of this until Mike mention that my condenser might be plugged with bugs. This is what it used to look like

IMG_1176.JPGIMG_1180.JPG

Not so many bugs, but there was an awful lot of surface area that was bent over so that no air could pass through. I realized this and that it was likely part of my problem, as well as the fact that it was probably greatly restricting air flow to the intercooler and radiator. This is what it looks like nowIMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

Not great, I know, but a vast improvement over what it was :-) I used a radiator comb, plastic fork handle (i couldnt find a plastic knife), finger nails, and A LOT of patience lol

• Like 1

• Owner

Now you know what I've got hardware mesh zip tied to the grill on the inside and then tuck hardware mesh in the bumper holes. This is to possible prevent object like stones and large bugs like beetles hitting the condenser and bending the fins over. Yeah simple things like this can make huge improvement. For the cheap fix would be to do like @leathermaneod did and carefully straighten out all the fins or the quick way is to just replace the entire condenser for around $100 bucks. 

• Like 1

Now if you replace the condenser, can you recharge the system yourself with cans from an auto store, or do you need a professional machine? Also, when you say mesh, I assume your talking about like window screen material? or something else? That does sound like a really good idea though, there were and still are quite a lot of little stones in there!

@dripley thanks for the compliment! yes it did take a few hours. I also bought the HF fin comb. Having never used one before, I assumed that getting things cleaned up would be a breeze, especially after watching a vid on youtube. Not so at all! Anything that is bent over more than a little bit will not straighten with the comb. Sometimes the comb even damages them. I basically had to get them all stood up by hand, then just used the comb to clean it up. I also found that the comb works better without the handle :thumb1:

Edited by leathermaneod

• Owner

This is all I'm using is 1/4" x 1/4" hardware mesh. Little stiffer than window screen and easy to work with. Do not attach any screen to the condenser itself. This will in fact rub holes in the tubing and later cause  leaks in the system. It best to attach the screen to the grill this way it never makes contact to the condenser or tubing.

galv-woven-8_0230084awebready.jpg

Yes you can recharge the system yourself after replacing any A/C parts but you'll need a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set. The vacuum pump is to draw a vacuum on the system to remove all moisture from the A/C system before charging. The the manifold gauge set always you to monitor your hi and lo pressures while charging.  This is really close to what I current use to charge A/C systems gauges are bit more fancy than mine are...

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

You wont have to pull a vacuum on it unless you opened the system unless you are worried about a leak. Cant remember whether you did or not.  It is still not a bad idea if you want to start all over. I had to with mine since it had been open for a good while. Unfortunately I had a leak and could not find it without pressurizing the system and then after finding the leak I started over again. 

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

You wont have to pull a vacuum on it unless you opened the system unless you are worried about a leak. Cant remember whether you did or not.  It is still not a bad idea if you want to start all over. I had to with mine since it had been open for a good while. Unfortunately I had a leak and could not find it without pressurizing the system and then after finding the leak I started over again. 

I was just asking hypothetically because Mike mentioned replacing the condenser. I didn't know if it was possible to recharge and open system yourself or if you needed one of the professional grade machines. :thumb1:

If it is full of freon you do need a recovery machine and they are pricey or have someone do it. Mine had leaked down so I just opened it up. The recharging equipment is not as bad price wise. I have $200 in the vacuum pump and gages.

• Like 1

• Owner
16 minutes ago, dripley said:

Well thats the rub. The EPA frowns upon that. Not to mention if your system is pretty full just popping something open is going to release a lot of pressure quickly. 

Yeah, Yeah, EPA this, EPA that... I'm sorry but if I was to hit a deer tonight my entire load of freon will be dumped into the atmosphere. If I T-bone another vehicle again freon is lost. So why create material that common to buy in part store, no license or training required to use. Think of all the older vehicles with slow leaks and everyone pumping cans of freon into there systems. Where is that leaking freon going? You got it... Into the atmosphere.  You might want to look at what it used for...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

Easy now big fella. I dont disagree with you today anymore than we talked about it a couple days ago. Just dont want to tell some one to do something that might have repercussions. Just want them to be able to make their own decisions.

• Like 1

• Owner

Just looking over the price on reclaiming machines which is outrageous. Like this little guy is nearly $500 and prices go as high as $6,000 for the fancy computer device ones. Most of the machines are not very portable with weights as high as 200 pounds. 

38505339db6d065e98e1017b0b93a202.jpg

Even the simpler one are nothing more that compressor than pumps freon from the system back into a storage vessel. So... Say for example your compressor was low on oil and created a bit "black death" (wear debris) in the system.

1991FordF150_ACOrificetube_zpsaf93419b.j

So now if your hook up and reclaim that without knowing you've just contaminated your storage vessel. So now all you freon in your storage vessel has wear debris in the freon. Now it unusable. I would much rather vent to the freon of and use fresh "clean"  freon back in a vehicle knowing there is absolutely no contaminates in the freon being used in the system.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

As suggested....

IMG_1185.JPG

its almost impossible to see behind the grill, but it's there! The ones over the holes in the bumper couldn't be secured too well but I'm hoping they will be good enough. My only concern is rust since the wire is galvanized steel....hopefully it doesn't rust too bad at the cuts....at least it was cheap....

Sorry I must have worded that badly. I was not checking pressure while driving, just temp. I checked pressure before when charging, and then again over the weekend with my father-in-law's manifold gauge set. I believe the fsm says with an ambient temp of 90° you can have a max of 60 psi on the low side. So far when charging and checking it's been mid 80°s and I've seen a max of 39 psi.