• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine/Exhaust brake questions

Ok one this may be in the wrong place and two I'm not familar with either the engine or the exhaust brake nor do I even know for shure theres a diference between the two. I am looking to install one on my truck due to poor service brake longevity about 30k on a set of pads and rotors and was looking for guidance and advice. Because Im woried more about engine life than brake life I was looking to pick your brains and find out if they cause any harm to the engine, our volunteer fire chief who has been an over the road driver for most of his life, does not like the use of them on our fire rigs because he believes it is cheaper to change brakes than an engine... I do know engine are expensive but I dont know if a compresion brake will cause any harm. also I'd assume they work on autos since some rigs are automatics and im a bit confused why the manual tranny ones are listed exhaust brake and the autos engine brake hence why the title is the way it is lol feel free to set me straight if I've got something messed up... A couple other thing where do they effect the transmission at all and if I were to have a week tranny could it hurt it? and lastly if I were to purchase one what would be the best place to go and what brand by chance?
Thanks it is always appreichiated

Ok one this may be in the wrong place and two I'm not familar with either the engine or the exhaust brake nor do I even know for shure theres a diference between the two. I am looking to install one on my truck due to poor service brake longevity about 30k on a set of pads and rotors and was looking for guidance and advice. Because Im woried more about engine life than brake life I was looking to pick your brains and find out if they cause any harm to the engine, our volunteer fire chief who has been an over the road driver for most of his life, does not like the use of them on our fire rigs because he believes it is cheaper to change brakes than an engine... I do know engine are expensive but I dont know if a compresion brake will cause any harm. also I'd assume they work on autos since some rigs are automatics and im a bit confused why the manual tranny ones are listed exhaust brake and the autos engine brake hence why the title is the way it is lol feel free to set me straight if I've got something messed up... A couple other thing where do they effect the transmission at all and if I were to have a week tranny could it hurt it? and lastly if I were to purchase one what would be the best place to go and what brand by chance?

Thanks it is always appreichiated

They won't hurt the engine if used properly.

Yes, they work on auto's but only when the torque converter is in lockup.

So if you have an auto you should have some sort of controller that only lets the brake come on when the TC is locked.

Using a manual TC lockup switch will work but you have to be careful to always unlock it at engine rpms below 1200 or you will stall the engine (not good for the engine or transmission).

If you use the exhaust brake out of TC lockup excessive heat is generated in the transmission and TC and that is bad for the transmission and TC.

Exhaust brake

http://www.tstproducts.com/19985-200224valvecummins-1.aspx

Controller

http://www.tstproducts.com/co-pilotfor985-02dodgeram.aspx

• Like 1

Thanks sasqch for the quick response that is some very helpful information you posted, one other question I had was is there actualy a difference between engine brake and exhaust brake or are they one in the same? I always believed they use compresion through the engine to slow the vehicle is this correct?

Thanks sasqch for the quick response that is some very helpful information you posted, one other question I had was is there actualy a difference between engine brake and exhaust brake or are they one in the same? I always believed they use compresion through the engine to slow the vehicle is this correct?

If by engine brake you mean jake brake then yes there is a difference. I don't believe you can put a jake brake on a 2nd gen. The true jake brake prevents the exhaust valves from opening causing the engine to pump against itself. The exhaust brake is a butterfly valve somewhere in the exhaust with a relief valve or a small hole in it (generally at the turbo exhaust). It causes the engine to build back pressure in the manifold giving engine resistance through the driveline. If someone is selling an engine brake for the 2nd gen's check it out to see how it really works.

• Owner

As far as I know of there isn't any engine brakes out there for the ISB engines. But there is several styles of exhaust brakes out. Give you an idea of how much its save your brake pads. I'm still traveling on my factory brake pads from 2002 when I bought the truck new. I've got over 166K on the clock and might do a brake job around 200K miles. That's not bad in my book. This includes crawling down the Idaho mountains with a 8x8 utility trailer hauling nearly 3 cords of firewood (truck loaded too).

Thanks for all the quick responses and good info and as for the engine brake it is on a couple of the work trucks (both are peterbuilts with cats) I drive, as well as two a (gmc detroit and a freightliner cummins) have the exhaust brake and I wasnt positive if there was a difference between the two types and now I know lol I'll be looking into that exhaust brake and controler when I do my tranny upgrade but my truck needs to gimp along till fall :pray: when I can finally get the 7k together to do it right