• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rebuild or replace steering gear?

• Owner

Funny... I stopped in a tire shop in Boise, Idaho to have my tires rotated and rebalanced. The tire shop did a full front end inspection. Wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and trackbar. The shop tech was very surprised that the front end was still tight and absolutely no issues that they could find at 273k miles and rolling. Steering box wise still tight and doing very well. 

So... When you do get the new box make sure to completely flush the system before removing the old steering box. Last thing you want is debris from the system contaminating the new box and start the ball rolling for constant issues on steering and hydraulic issues.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So... When you do get the new box make sure to completely flush the system before removing the old steering box. Last thing you want is debris from the system contaminating the new box and start the ball rolling for constant issues on steering and hydraulic issues.

When one removes the lines from the gear the entire system is pretty much dry after it drains out including the brake booster as it syphons the system out completely since this is the lowest point in the system.

IIRC on my 05 to fill the system up from completely empty takes just shy of 2 quarts.

Edited by Wild and Free

10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Thanks!

What type of fluid should I run in the new box, ATF +4 or regular power steering fluid? 

Edited by The_Hammer

Got the steering box and pump put on today. The truck drives better than it ever has and I'm not leaving a trail of fluid everywhere I go lol. I filled the system with power steering fluid as per the FSM information that Michael posted.

Now it's on to the next problem, a throttle linkage ball joint that pops off with the slightest touch. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1