• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

02 Dodge Diesel 47 RE Transmission Trouble

Hi, I'm new to this site. Have a question about a transmission issue: Started almost one year ago, while pulling my 5th wheel RV. Had driven about 15 miles and it went into limp mode. Took to a transmission repair shop the following day and they replaced all the solenoids in the transmission. Problem continued, so took truck back to repair shop where they said it had thrown a code for the 3rd and 4th shifting solenoid (malfunctioned). They then replaced that. Problem still persisted. Repair shop then said it needed a new 'brain' or PCM. Took it to a Dodge dealer who replaced this part. Still having problems. Here is what is occurring: When it first started acting up, upon starting first thing in a.m., starts in limp mode. This would continue for approximately a mile. Then I would shut it down, wait 5 minutes and restart it. That would solve the problem unless the truck sat for 2-3 hours. Then upon restarting it, it would again start in limp mode. Now, the time it stays in limp mode after the initial start up is getting longer. Sometimes when I shut it down and restart it, it will only work in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but won't shift into 4th and overdrive. If that happens, I will drive another mile or so and restart it again and it will be fine. Other times, once I restart it, it shifts into all gears. I have consulted with many different people and forums and it seems no one has had this particular issue. Many think it could be a wiring issue, but I'm not sure if that's it. I'm wondering if it could be a pressure issue? HELP!!!

Got ya.   

I have had this issue myself....twice haha.

First time I ende dup blowing the boost hat off of the valve body, but I lost lockup at the same time.

Second time it was the electronics in the trans, which I replaced and the new ones Ended up being bad off the get go. 

It definitely sounds like you have an electrical problem of some sort. Try bypassing the transmission relay. Remove the relay and put a jumper wire in its place. This will eliminate the relay and all of its associated wiring.

Take it for a test drive.

• Like 1

If it were mine, I would just leave the jumper in there and call it a day. Otherwise, you'll have to chase out why either the relay isn't being commanded on, or possibly whether or not the relay itself has failed. You could swap the transmission relay with the horn relay (assuming the horn works properly), and drive it again to see if it acts up again or continues to operate correctly. If it continues to work correctly, you had a bad relay.Buy a new one an...problem solved. If it acts up again, you have a PCM or alternator problem, in which case, I would just keep the jumper in the relay permanently and not worry about it.