• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil pressure sensor

Last night oil gauge started dropping to bottom of gauge tripping check gauges light and chime. Since it was raining I'm thinking loose connection. My question Where is the sensor? I tried to find it on the parts lookup. It is listed as number 12 but picture only goes to 11. Want to clean the connection. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you make sure there is no damage to back side where the wires go in to make the actual plug?

Crank sensor was doing the exact same thing to me in the rain when looking at it nothing seams wrong but with a bright flashlight from either side of the plug deep inside you should be able to see green dust or a white gray if so replace the connector.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

WiscoRedneck, Yes I did check the only thing I noticed was when shined light from sensor side I could see light on wire side. So put silicone on wire side and die-electric grease on sensor side. I cleaned plug as best I could. Yesterday it got warm enough to melt some snow and I went out for a 2 hour drive on wet roads and the problem did not occur. Will see when it rains next week. I do see a little higher oil pressure with the new sensor. 

Another update. After reading articles here one thing I read was to do a "wiggle" test on the wiring to try and recreate problem. Tried could not recreate but got a small spark when oil pressure sensor wires touched the fitting to the lift pump. So tear down stuff on side of engine to reach and work on wires. Did not find any rub spot or break in wire, so wrapped each wire with tape, then all three together, then put split loom on. Did same to map sensor, put truck back together go for a ride. Roads not quite as wet as this morning but no problem with sensors. Back to waiting for a good rain to drive in.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm sounds like you have damaged wiring those can be painful, do you have a multimeter?  You need to find all the damaged wires and replace with new of the correct gauge using heat shrink splices or similar water proof connection.  It's tedious but can be fairly cheap to repair yourself 

14 hours ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

Hmm sounds like you have damaged wiring those can be painful, do you have a multimeter?  You need to find all the damaged wires and replace with new of the correct gauge using heat shrink splices or similar water proof connection.  It's tedious but can be fairly cheap to repair yourself 

Your right there was a damaged wire.

Did repairs and got to test drive it in the rain , so far no more trouble. Thanks for the advice and replies.