• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission noise

Hey everyone, Im new here and i have been having a problem with my 2001. I get a "grinding" noise from the transmission area that sounds like you are driving over a rumble strip. i can't figure it out what the problem is. I have tried pulling the relay for the trans out, removing the alternator fuse, and wrapping the ground wire in foil. This happens either I'm driving around town or on the highway. It does it under light acceleration but not under heavy acceleration. But it keeps making the sound when just coasting along or light pressure on the gas. I can only make it stop if I shift down to 1st and let my truck engine brake to a stop. Any suggestion would be great

• Owner
22 minutes ago, WhiteYeti said:

I get a "grinding" noise from the transmission area that sounds like you are driving over a rumble strip.

That is not a electrical issue.That is a mechanical issue.

I have tried pulling the relay for the trans out, removing the alternator fuse, and wrapping the ground wire in foil.

Return the electrical back to stock configuration. Remove all these mods and test the alternator if you are going to chase AC noise issues.

It does it under light acceleration but not under heavy acceleration. But it keeps making the sound when just coasting along or light pressure on the gas.

Again this is a mechanical issue. You might want to drop the pan look for debris. Another thing it could be is the flexplate is cracked or failing. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

It is all stock wiring right now, I did the AC test with the fuse still in and the field connector still plugged in and got a voltage of .053 VAC. I will drop the pan and take off the inspection cover off to look at the torque converter and check the flex plate

I forgot to mention it only does it when it is out of 1st gear, I can drive in 1st and it won't make a sound, it only happens after I shift out of 1st