• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wires to trailer plug?

Anyone know the colors of wires I'm looking for? I'm hooking up a backup camera and a backup light on my canopy. What's the wire color going to the trailer plug that's reverse lights? Is there a better place to tap than the wires going to the trailer plug? Tap connector and liquid electrical tape to make the connection?

Looking like tapping into the tail light assembly might be easier...just remove assembly with 2 screws and all is accessible and a more dry location to make a cross connection. Looks like I can tap both positive and negative there with ease. 

Do you think the wires/curcut can handle running the auxiliary reverse lamp without doing a relay? Lamp was mounted on the canopy when I bought it. It doesn't appear to be a high power unit? Won't ever be run for very long. I'll put a kill switch inside the canopy so I can eliminate it from coming on as necessary. Like when I'm in the woods and backing up long distances on logging roads that dead end. 

Also, I've never understood why some vehicles put switches on the negative side and others use the positive side?? Maybe negative side is easier due to being able to only run one wire and switch just supplies ground when activated? 

Edited by joecool911

• Staff

It's not a question of how long you have them on but how much power you need.  How much power does the auxiliary lights demand?

It's a 10 amp circuit and lets say the 2 reverse blubs use about 20 watts each this would but a 3.3 amp load on the circuit.  this leaves 6.7 amps or 80 watts left to power any extra lighting.

When I can I put the switch on the negative side of the load.  All of the control units do it this way.  Switching takes place after the load so there is no chance of a short circuit and blowing a fuse and there is very little to no spark when switching so the contacts in the switch last longer. 

• Like 1

I ran hot and ground 8 gauge wires into the bed a few years ago for a bed mounted sprayer that now resides on a trailer. So I think I'm covered. Direct from battery terminals with a 25 amp fuse on the hot side. So now wiring with a relay will be a snap under the canopy. Still need to tap into hot and ground wires behind tail light for the backup camera. So only issue left is getting these wires from there to the licensce plate area for backup camera. Not sure if there are any holes in the tail light bucket area to fish wires, but I'll play that by ear when I'm there. 

Cant tell you how many times I've back up to trailers over the years blind and had to hop in and out of the cab to get lined up. Probably hundreds. This is going to be sweet. Plus having a light up high on the canopy that comes on when in reverse to be able to see the trailers while backing in dark!!!?

• 4 weeks later...

Update...got the backups camera installed. Works awesome! Got my trailer hooked up first shot.

Ended up doing all wiring behind the taillight. Stays dry there for the tapping in of wires. Ran a stub wire  into the bed area for running to the back up light on top of the canopy. Went really well!