• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead peddle & death code

So I bought my first truck, a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel, last July. A couple months later I started having what I found out was called a "dead peddle" issue. It started losing power & not accelerating as I'd press the throttle down. After the rpm dropped so much I'd get the power back & it would start screaming up the road (as I had the throttle pushed down signicantly).  As it started getting cold I noticed it got worse. I'd lose power after driving up the road a few hundred feet & wouldn't really get it back until the truck warmed up. Some have said it only affected it w/in a certain range but mine did it no matrer what, even if I had it floored. I started doing some research & found out this could be do to the APPS or TPS. So I tested the voltage on mine the other day & w/o pressing the peddle it was a .38 which is low & at full throttle was over 3.9 which I hear is a bit high. But there was no drop off in the voltage at all & I tested it a few times, which I thought was odd bc it's supposed too from what I understand if the sensor is bad. So I decided to go get it scanned at an AutoZone by me & it threw codes P0222, P0216, P0382. I think it threw 2 others but the guy didn't write those down & I forget them although I'm pretty sure they were related to the first two codes if I remember correctly. P0216 is obviously the one that worries me as it's known as the "death code". I know someone who got that code on their truck & replaced the vp44 but it only helped a few months until they had the same dead peddle issue & the code returned. They ended up finding out it was a grounding issue & the vp44 wasn't getting power from the ECM. There are other reasons I've heard this truck will throw that code & I wanna make sure I do the smart thing instead of throwing money away for such an expensive part that doesn't need replaced. This is my first Dodge diesel & honestly am green behind the ears when it comes to this. What are some other things I can check for to know for sure what needs replaced?

Edited by J-Diesel05

It would help to know the other codes. Also it would be good to clear and see what comes back. Another thing that would help is to know some more about your truck and any mods that have been done. That would be best put in your signature and would appear below all of your posts so all can see what you are working with. you can do that by clicking on your name in the upper right hand of the page, then account settings and you will see "signature" in the left column. 

While the 216 code has the nickname "death code", that is not always the case. Not a good sign but not necessarily the end of the pump. Do you know what kind of fuel pressure you are running or know what fuel system you have? 

On 5/20/2017 at 6:54 PM, dripley said:

It would help to know the other codes. Also it would be good to clear and see what comes back. Another thing that would help is to know some more about your truck and any mods that have been done. That would be best put in your signature and would appear below all of your posts so all can see what you are working with. you can do that by clicking on your name in the upper right hand of the page, then account settings and you will see "signature" in the left column. 

While the 216 code has the nickname "death code", that is not always the case. Not a good sign but not necessarily the end of the pump. Do you know what kind of fuel pressure you are running or know what fuel system you have? 

Okay sry it took so long to get back on here. I was busy this weekend & work midnights... Anyway I put all the information I could in my signature; thanks for telling me how to do that. I found out the other two codes: P1693 & P230. I cleared the codes & P0216, P0222 & P0382 are still coming up. I have a FASS fuel system & my pressure is between 14 & 15 at idle & while driving around 15 but jumps up to 18-20 sometimes.

Edited by J-Diesel05

10 hours ago, dripley said:

What are you seeing at WOT? You want to stay at the 14 to 15 range under full throttle, WOT. The signature is very helpful to all.

It's hard to get a consistent reading as the needle is quite jumpy at full throttle but it's usually between 13-15 psi. Idk if It's normal for it jump around so much but it's generally over 14 

Edited by J-Diesel05

• Owner
On 5/20/2017 at 1:50 PM, J-Diesel05 said:

They ended up finding out it was a grounding issue & the vp44 wasn't getting power from the ECM.

Be careful there is a lot of wannabes electrical hacks out there that think they have all the answer on how to create better electrical. ECM, PCM and VP44 all get there ground from the passenger side battery negative terminal. As for the VP44 power that is the fuel pump relay in the PDC if there was a problem power wise it will throw a P1689 code. Since the code is not present I would have to say most likely not true.

As for the P0216 there is nothing you can do to fix it and the VP44 is going to have to be replaced. I've now lost my second VP44 to P0216 codes. The first one last 50k miles (under warranty). The second one went 243k miles and the finally died last month.

P0382 your grid heater solenoid is either disconnected or failed. 

P0222 is a failed APPS sensor that is not reporting the proper validation signals to the ECM.

3 hours ago, J-Diesel05 said:

It's hard to get a consistent reading as the needle is quite jumpy at full throttle but it's usually between 13-15 psi. Idk if It's normal for it jump around so much but it's generally over 14 

do you know where the tap is for the FP gauge? If it is to close to the VP and is not protected by a snubber or needle valve or the like will cause your needle to bounce alot. 

I do agree with @Mopar1973Man that the pump is going and will fail eventually. I would start saving up for one. Might last a day might last a year. You just never know.

You could try dumping some 2 stroke oil in it. a lot us run it on a regular basis for the lubricity at 1 oz per gallon. you might try double that for a couple tanks and see if it helps.

Edited by dripley